Thread: Jet tablesaw dust collection

Blog Entries

Jet tablesaw dust collection

While I have enjoyed my Jet cabinet style tablesaw, I am perplexed by the amount of sawdust that collects inside of the cabinet. The saw has a shroud that envelopes the bottom half of the blade and that shroud has direct dust collection hooked up to it. Yet, anything that escapes the shroud collects within the cabinet and today I got a surprise as to how much collects in there. How has anyone else handled this problem? Would it be prudent to tap into the back of the cabinet and "wye" the dust collection ducting to both the cabinet and the blad shroud? Not that this is to much of a problem, I just didn't think that I would have to get into the cabinet every once in a while to clean out a large amount of dust. Any suggestions?
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Is this the model with the riving knife? My Deluxe has the same issue, although I don't seem to be collecting that much. I do know that what is there, just sits. I was thinking the same thing as you. There is no way to clear the sawdust that is missed by the blade shroud which is weird. I would think some sort of wye setup should work, at least in concept. Have you had much above the table issues? I like the blade guard, but it seems that sawdust shoots out the front when i make a cut...

This is sort of generic reply but may not apply to all saws.

From what I've seen, dust collection on most saws doesn't appear as if the manufactures of these units give dust collection much thought. A dust collection system will not vacuum all the sawdust from the cabinet itself. Most of the insides are flat surfaces and to further compound the issue as dust accumulates additional dust builds on top of it adding to its volume.

As I see it there are a couple of ways to improve the dust collection; add a shape to the inside of the saw that helps the dust flow naturally toward the dust collection port. Add air that keeps the dust suspended allowing it to be sucked out through the same port.

Dust collecting in the cabinet is par for the course; happens to most saws. I wouldn't sweat it, unless you notice a decrease in performance.

The most common way around this is as you suggest: tap a new hole at a different part of the cabinet and run a second hose there.

However, for my money, I'd rather run that 2nd hose ABOVE the blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Is this the model with the riving knife? My Deluxe has the same issue, although I don't seem to be collecting that much. I do know that what is there, just sits. I was thinking the same thing as you. There is no way to clear the sawdust that is missed by the blade shroud which is weird. I would think some sort of wye setup should work, at least in concept. Have you had much above the table issues? I like the blade guard, but it seems that sawdust shoots out the front when i make a cut...
    Jay, yes, it is the one with the riving knife. I don't get much above the table surface when cutting....just minimal and not that bothersome. I imagine that an over the blade collection system would tremendously help with that, but I do not feel the need for that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Genovesi View Post
    This is sort of generic reply but may not apply to all saws.

From what I've seen, dust collection on most saws doesn't appear as if the manufactures of these units give dust collection much thought. A dust collection system will not vacuum all the sawdust from the cabinet itself. Most of the insides are flat surfaces and to further compound the issue as dust accumulates additional dust builds on top of it adding to its volume.

As I see it there are a couple of ways to improve the dust collection; add a shape to the inside of the saw that helps the dust flow naturally toward the dust collection port. Add air that keeps the dust suspended allowing it to be sucked out through the same port.

Bob, the inside configuration could easily be adapted for better dust feed towards a collection port. And I may end up doing something like that. Knowing myself though, this is something that I will EVENTUALLY get around to. Until then, I can see myself simply cleaning out the cabinet every once in a while. Right now, the easiest thing to do is remove the plate and blade and with the dust collection system on, simply blow air from the compressor in there and let it collect through the shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    Bob, the inside configuration could easily be adapted for better dust feed towards a collection port. And I may end up doing something like that. Knowing myself though, this is something that I will EVENTUALLY get around to. Until then, I can see myself simply cleaning out the cabinet every once in a while. Right now, the easiest thing to do is remove the plate and blade and with the dust collection system on, simply blow air from the compressor in there and let it collect through the shroud.
    Fred, exactly! I don't think it's all that difficult to do either. Sometimes I think manufactures expect us the user to finish the job and make it work...