Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jointer/planer chips - wow

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    In winter, I use my chips and shavings to start a fire in our fireplace. Makes good tinder.
    i take the sawdust and stuff it into papertowel rolls just to have an easy 'container'.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wood View Post
    yeah, the separator may be something that I need to consider. I don't really have a lot of room in my shop though... but you are right, taking that bag off all the time is a bit of a pain.

Interesting to see how people deal with it all though, thanks for the replies

I never understand this, maybe its because I have neither. All of the bags that Ive played with in the store seem easy to take off. Verses using a seperator.

With a bag on a DC just take off tie up and haul away, seperator you have to haul upstairs or outside to transfer into a bag making a mess stuff in the air, or whatever. Even if you have a bag in the seperator, you have to pull out whatever holds the bag in place, then pull out the bag.Then you may have the possiblity of vacuum lock from the bag in a can. That making it a pita to get the bag out.

Like I said, I own neither maybe Im missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
    I never understand this, maybe its because I have neither. All of the bags that Ive played with in the store seem easy to take off. Verses using a seperator.

With a bag on a DC just take off tie up and haul away, seperator you have to haul upstairs or outside to transfer into a bag making a mess stuff in the air, or whatever. Even if you have a bag in the seperator, you have to pull out whatever holds the bag in place, then pull out the bag.Then you may have the possiblity of vacuum lock from the bag in a can. That making it a pita to get the bag out.

Like I said, I own neither maybe Im missing something.
    I suppose every model DC is a little different. I've got the Jet DC650. I got it used off CL, so I don't know if the lower bag is stock or not (I know he upgraded the upper filter bag). It is a reusable bag, not one you would tie up and toss out.
    At the end of the day, it is not that "hard" to do... but when you have to do it around 10 times in one day, you start thinking to yourself if there is a better way.

it is messy taking the bag off and dealing with it (and I suspect it would be for a disposable bag too), the wood flour wants to go airborne without much agitation. I've taken to put my mask on for the removal process.

For me, it is not that big of a deal, I am a hobbyist running a garage shop and I normally don't mill 200 plus board feet for making large tables. When you start joining and planing 80 linear feet (times three I suppose, for each side) over the weekend, it is a lot of trips out to the burn pile (my current method of getting rid of the waste, until something better comes along)

For guys that do this full time, I'd think a dump truck outside the shop would make sense
    fledgling weekend warrior

I put mine out for Waste Management to deal with in 33 gallon contractor bags. My theory is the household waste needs some natural stuff with it to even everything out.

If I take it to the non-putrescible landfill, it costs a minimum of $35 a pickup load (whether you are bulging at the seams or only have a bottle cap to throw away), and waiting long enough to get a load these days, the bags would deteriorate from UV rays (not to mention the looks I would get from the wife for long term storage of waste).

Todd

My city actually charges for bio material recycling so it goes out with the trash. When I made my bench tops I filled 4 55 gallon bags with chips.

If I hade a stand alone shop and was able to use it on a regular basis, I would by one of these, and use it to heat the shop in the winter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yTZ3lftyYw
    -Dan

Neat video, Dan. Wonder if that thing can handle shavings, and larger chips - say from plane shavings and chopping out dovetails, etc.?

If you have a place nearby that fires ceramics nearby there is a type of firing where they pack the ceramics in wood chips. I give all my non toxic chips to a local art school. They are always happy to see them and I have even gotten some pretty nice pieces of art from some of the instructors in exchange.

I give mine to the used car dealer down the street and he puts it in worn out transmissions and differentials so that he can sell them to the unsuspecting. That is city life!!

Kiddin.
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html

Quote Originally Posted by ben bothwell View Post
    If you have a place nearby that fires ceramics nearby there is a type of firing where they pack the ceramics in wood chips. I give all my non toxic chips to a local art school. They are always happy to see them and I have even gotten some pretty nice pieces of art from some of the instructors in exchange.

Yeah, it's called "Raku"

While not really very functional (non vitreous), it is some of my favorite ceramic art
    fledgling weekend warrior

MIne gets blowed outside into a pile. Then scouped up and hauled to a corner of the garden where it sits for a year or so to decompose. Then its spread as mulch around the garden plants.