Thread: insulating garage doors

insulating garage doors

Has anyone added styrofoam to insulate garage doors? If so, did you use foil backed? How did you secure it?
    Any help appreciated
    "Time flys like an arrow........ Fruit flies like a bannana."

While mine are insulated with Reflectix, I helped a friend use foil backed foam board for his. We used Liquid Nails for Projects on it, been holding up for 8 years now no problems.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I mounted 1” Styrofoam to my old garage doors using Liquid Nails. The LN was still holding strong when I changed out the doors several years later.
    The 1” Styrofoam helped some, but not near as much as factory insulated doors.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I used radiant barrier that was typically designed for attic spaces.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Setting...0DP%20FMEA.DOC

I just used aluminum foil tape, which has held up well for 2 years now. I am still tempted to put a layer of foam on it, though I really don't know how much more that will help. My problem was direct western exposure to the sun from about 2-7 in the summer, so radiant heat was a big deal for me.

I did also put roll out pink insulation in the attic above my garage, but still debating on looking at spray in foam insulation for my 2 walls.
    Last edited by alex grams; 06-22-2009 at 2:34 PM.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Both of my doors are insulated with Reflectix and here in Florida it make a big difference.

I have insulated the "garage" door in my workshop here in hot West Texas. Works very well. I used a double layer of 3/4" styrofoam that I bought at Home Depot. (48" x 96" pieces). I cut them to fit and bent them just enough to snap into place on the door between the stiffeners on the door. No tape or glue and 100% removeable. I have also done this for a friend and there I used some shop made slats (1/2" x 2") to help hold the foam in place.
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 06-22-2009 at 6:12 PM.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I was surprised how little it cost me to add factory insulation to my door when I bought it last year.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Foil backing is a great radiant barrier and the foam is great for r-value, covering both winter/summer needs. Foil tape works great and lasts forever if applied over a clean surface.

Like Jim did.

Leaving foam exposed on the inside of the door is a fire hazard. Code requires it to be covered with some sort of fire rated material. Most insulated doors use a sheet of aluminum to cover it. My father has had exposed foam on the inside of his garage door for decades and never had a problem ... but just so you guys know; it wont pass an inspection.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    I was surprised how little it cost me to add factory insulation to my door when I bought it last year.
    +1 - I replaced my old doors with new doors that have the insulation sandwiched between and inner and outer layer of steel. The inner layer protects the insulation from getting damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim FInn View Post
    I have insulated the "garage" door in my workshop here in hot West Texas. Works very well. I used a double layer of 3/4" styrofoam that I bought at Home Depot. (48" x 96" pieces). I cut them to fit and bent them just enough to snap into place on the door between the stiffeners on the door. No tape or glue and 100% removeable. I have also done this for a friend and there I used some shop made slats (1/2" x 2") to help hold the foam in place.
    I did this exact setup. I used the table saw to cut the foam. That worked very well. Also, I used a broom handle help bow the pieces as I snapped them into place. Lay the handle horizontal and bend the foam over it and into the door channels. Then pull out the handle and the foam snaps in.