Thread: Delta Jointer DJ-15 Question

Delta Jointer DJ-15 Question

Yesterday I was checking to make sure the tables (outfeed and infeed) were square to the fence. I was only able to make the infeed table square to the fence. The outfeed table was a little off...just a hair. I don't have a feeler gauge so I do not have an exact measurement. I have the manual and do not see an adjustment for the tables. Is there a way to make this adjustment?

The DJ-15 is a parallelagram setup, basically a smaller version of the DJ-20. Each corner of the table is adjustable by rotating the cam on the pivot arms. Chances are there are 2 set screws securing the cam, so you'll have to remove one, then loosen the one underneath. You'll have to make a spanner wrench of some sort to turn the cam, or 'invent' some method of turning it. It's actually pretty straightforward once you see how it works...

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Levine View Post
    Yesterday I was checking to make sure the tables (outfeed and infeed) were square to the fence. I was only able to make the infeed table square to the fence. The outfeed table was a little off...just a hair. I don't have a feeler gauge so I do not have an exact measurement. I have the manual and do not see an adjustment for the tables. Is there a way to make this adjustment?
    You haven't done enough investigation to prove your theory. The fence could be twisted. I wouldn't adjust anything until you understand all the fine points of a jointer. As simple as it seems a jointer is more complex in it's adjustment. I have been repairing machines professionally for many years. One of the primary tools is a good straight edge about 2/3 the length of the overall bed. A good level will suffice if you know how to verify it's accuracy. A feeler gauge is a must and a dial indicator is useful but not necessary, but seeing as they are about $12 at the metal supply places it's a nice thing to have. There is a logical progression to check a jointer. John White has a book on Taunton Press on machine adjusting. Haven't read it, but it would be a good start.

Also a twisted fence can be straightened. Cast iron can be flexed. You clamp one end to a solid bench and clamp a 2 x 4 to the other end and slightly over bend it.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 06-23-2009 at 5:20 AM.