Thread: engraving shot glasses

engraving shot glasses

I havent tried it and was wondering what i can expect. If i engrave a blue shot glass will the engraving turn white frost like an engraving on anodized aluminum? I have a Laserpro C180 30w. Thanks

Yup. Pretty well all glass turns white.. Blue and red give excellent contrast..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

thanks Bill

shot glasses

Are these the tapered ones from Libbey? do you have a supplier?
    I tried the tapered ones eons ago and never did have good results with the logos that my customers wanted. Hopefully, the info provided recently in the thread on tapered glassware will help with this... off to find some shot glasses....

nancyB
    Xenetech xlt1325,
    Corel 13,
    Rayzist 2034 blastcabinet

I was reading a thread on here from a couple days ago. It was about ornaments. Someone including this link

http://www.marckassoc.com/

I called yesterday and they showed me how to view pricing over the web. You dont even need a login. Use this link for pricing

http://www.marckassoc.com/pricing/

Prices look good. I was just trying to get the justs of what to expect. hope it helps

Here are a few that I have done...used silver rub n buff...much better contrast.
    Had to stretch the logo so it would look more like a round logo...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Helix 45w, Corel x3, Photograv

Nice work, Linda! Funny, I never thought of morticians or coroners as needing shot glasses. But my cousin is one and his wife, too - mind if I "borrow" that concept?

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    What mortician doesn't appreciate a stiff drink?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

While in small towns, morticians are often defacto coroners, the larger city coroners [refer to Quincy years ago and CSI's today] are the ones to prove the truth of an individual's passing.
    Having said that, I hope Linda made those as double shot glasses, those people would really need at least one at the end of a day, unless they terrors of life have already driven them into a program and then it'll be a double shot of some form of analgesic.

LaserPro C180

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker View Post
    I havent tried it and was wondering what i can expect. If i engrave a blue shot glass will the engraving turn white frost like an engraving on anodized aluminum? I have a Laserpro C180 30w. Thanks
    Joe,

This maybe a little off the subject matter of engraving shot glasses (although I'll be starting that project soon myself) but..........

I note that you are using a LaserPro C180. Apparently this is the engraver that has replaced a former desktop unit from these same folks. It is also the ONLY laser manufacturer that is providing a Mac driver for their machines. Being a Mac user, this is the machine I want to buy.

Do you have any pro/con comments concerning the over all operation of this machine, the customer service received from the company that you purchased it from if and you've needed it, and how well it has operated for you on small projects over the time frame that you've had it operational?

Thank you very much in advance for your comments.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave, i like it. 30w is powerful enough for most everything we are doing. Ive only had it a month and half. In that time i think i am doing pretty well on it. We have an existing customer base and this was just adding a service so it has been worth it from the start. If anyone is going into this business new i would seriously weigh the pros and cons. I cant comment on the Mac side because we dont use it but overall i like it very much. We bought it from Jorlink in Greensboro NC. They have been great. Plus they are only 1/2 hour away so it is convinent. If you are in the NC area you are more than welcomed to come over and see it in action.

LaserPro C180

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker View Post
    Dave, i like it. 30w is powerful enough for most everything we are doing. Ive only had it a month and half. In that time i think i am doing pretty well on it. We have an existing customer base and this was just adding a service so it has been worth it from the start. If anyone is going into this business new i would seriously weigh the pros and cons. I cant comment on the Mac side because we dont use it but overall i like it very much. We bought it from Jorlink in Greensboro NC. They have been great. Plus they are only 1/2 hour away so it is convinent. If you are in the NC area you are more than welcomed to come over and see it in action.
    Joe,

I'm very glad to hear that you are happy with the C180, especially that it's working out well for your business. No worries about the Mac. My issue is with the graphics software. I'm new at this and need a lot of hands on experience and book learning. It's just nice to know that the only laser that has an available Mac driver is a good machine to start with.

Thanks also for the comments on going with the 30 watt unit. My "new equipment" budget for this year is totally maxed out with this purchase. Thankfully I forced myself to take everyone's advice by going with the more powerful unit for all sorts of very good reasons.

Thank you also for the invite to your shop. I live and work in California, with numerous trips to various countries in Asia, which is where my customer base is. Once I left Washington DC a "few" years ago (didn't even look in the rear view mirror when doing so) I "swore off" having anything to do with the East Coast in and around that "place" for ever. Now Greensboro, NC, on the other hand is a lovely place with great people. And should my travels take me in that direction again, I'll gladly take you up on your kind offer to visit.

Thanks again!

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Joe, I found some shot glasses at TowerTrading Company (towertradingco.com). They are not tapered at all, but taller and smaller in diameter. They also carry square shot glasses.
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3