Thread: Hackberry turning?

Hackberry turning?

Can someone tell me if hackberry is worthwhile as a turning wood?

Thanks to all!

Harv

I like it. I've got some that spalted too far and not worth salvage. But what I've turned I liked.

It used to be considered part of the elm family. It's been moved to its own lately.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I've turned 2-3 chunks of it and really like it. I'd like to get a lot more of it. Some of it is creamy and some is quite colorful. It all turns and finishes well, at least in my view

Thanks for the opinions guys! I have some spalted hackberry that got. Just wondering what it might be like to turn.

Hackberry is part of the elm family

Harvey, I have turned a ton of hackberry and it can be very beautiful, lots of shades of brown to gray and creamy sapwood. It gets pretty hard when dry and sometimes smells a little odd (like the cat box) but the spalting can be very dramatic aslo. Have fun and good luck!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

My very first bowl was from Hackberry. As it was green and very wet it felt like I was cutting air most of the time. Great fun seeing those long curls flying through the air. Mine did not have any spalting but has some very sutle blue-greens and yellows running through it.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Spalted hackberry is a great wood to turn and you can get some really pretty pieces out of it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ditto what Bernie said. Just don't leave it too long, as it may turn into funky.
    Richard in Wimberley

I really like turning hackberry. If it is spalted you can soak it in Minwax hardener and it helps it not fly apart as easily. It makes very beautiful pens and small bowls.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and recommendations!