Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Lloyd Wright plans

Frank Lloyd Wright plans

Are any plans available for FLW style furniture like the barrel chair or accent pieces like lamps?

This post by Wayne Watling is old but worth digging back up. BEAUTIFUL work.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54568

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The only place I have heard of plans are ebay. For the lamp specifically as well. That may have been in that post you linked though.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    The only place I have heard of plans are ebay. For the lamp specifically as well. That may have been in that post you linked though.
    Thanks!
    Yes I looked at that but the link was dead.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Last edited by Don Bullock; 06-24-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Dave, I have book/plans that are an excellent tutorial that shows how to build the lamp and has blue printed plans all in one. The book is 45 pages and is in a large printed spiral binder. It’s called “Wood Working Plans for a Hillside Table Lamp by John Loeffelholz”. If you can find one of these books it makes making one of these lamps very easy it even shows you how to wire it as well.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Dave, I have book/plans that are an excellent tutorial that shows how to build the lamp and has blue printed plans all in one. The book is 45 pages and is in a large printed spiral binder. It’s called “Wood Working Plans for a Hillside Table Lamp by John Loeffelholz”. If you can find one of these books it makes making one of these lamps very easy it even shows you how to wire it as well.

Richard
    Thanks for the info. Will take a look.

The book on Amazon is $45 (THROUGH A SELLER) Is this what the book goes for or should I keep looking?
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 06-24-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    - Rick Dale

Finding Books

Check out bookfinder.com. They list multiple sellers of out of print books. Alibris does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post

The book on Amazon is $45 (THROUGH A SELLER) Is this what the book goes for or should I keep looking?
    Looks like the one being sold there is actually the author selling the book. Perhaps you could get an autographed copy.?

Dave, you can also check it out from the libary in your area and save some money. also the auther "John Loeffelholz" has two other books he did on more lamps of Franks...

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

If you know SketchUp (free 3d design software), this might help you.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Here, are his other 3 books I was talking about. I have all 3 and they all are good reference books on how to build these lamps.
    Richard

Woodworking Plans for a Hillside Table Lamp: Inspired by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright by John Loeffelholz (Spiral-bound - Jun 1, 2000)

Woodworking Plans for an Oak Park Lamp : Inspired by the Work of Frank Lloyd Wright by John Loeffelholz (Spiral-bound - Jul 2000)

Woodworking Plans for a Mile High Usonian Lamp: Inspired by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright by John Loeffelholz (Spiral-bound - Aug 1, 2000)
    Out of Print--Limited Availability
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliment and good luck with the lamp, I'm sure you will be pleased with the result. Its a project that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end and the bonus was the finished product which will add character to any room.
    If you have any questions regarding construction or materials I'd be pleased to answer. The actual name given to this lamp is 'Taliesin III Table Lamp' and as far as I can tell here is an actual reproduction of the lamp. If you study my version or the version in the plan by John Loeffelholz they differ slightly to the original.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Watling View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliment and good luck with the lamp, I'm sure you will be pleased with the result. Its a project that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end and the bonus was the finished product which will add character to any room.
    If you have any questions regarding construction or materials I'd be pleased to answer. The actual name given to this lamp is 'Taliesin III Table Lamp' and as far as I can tell here is an actual reproduction of the lamp. If you study my version or the version in the plan by John Loeffelholz they differ slightly to the original.

Wayne
    Thanks Wayne.

Do you know off hand the basic size of the lamp to get me started?
    Also what thickness and type of wood did you use?
    I'm not too good at the design end of woodworking but my give this a shot.

I'll say it again. BEAUTIFUL WORK!
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    If you know SketchUp (free 3d design software), this might help you.
    Now how cool is that!

Thanks!
    - Rick Dale

Thanks Wayne.
    Do you know off hand the basic size of the lamp to get me started?
    Also what thickness and type of wood did you use?
    I'm not too good at the design end of woodworking but my give this a shot.
    I'll say it again. BEAUTIFUL WORK!
    Dave,

Here are a few measurements to get you started, the rest are quite easy to work out. Black cherry was used for that project but I am considering a more exotic timber for the next one or even a mixture of 2 different woods.

Here are some other pics that display how I routed out the center of that pole for the fixtures and wiring:
    http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/

Would like to see your finished work so post some pics if you get a chance.

Regards,
    Wayne

Flat shades - 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 x 1/4
    Box surrounds - 5 7/8 x 2 9/16 x 2 9/16
    Base - 8 1/4 x 8 1/4 x 1/2
    Pole - 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 29 5/16 (29" from top of base)
    Front web - 2 9/16 x 3 1/4 x 7/16
    Side web - 2 5/8 x 1 1/4 x 7/16

Center of pole on base 5 5/8, 2 1/2
    Gap between boxes 15/16