Thread: Here is How I am Finishing That Box

Blog Entries

Here is How I am Finishing That Box

Some of ya might have seen these boxes before in different stages of their build. I did a thread on the beveling process.

I've been eyeballin' this stuff on the top shelf at the (not so) local woodworker's supply joint.... and bit off and got some. Behlen's Stringed Instrument Lacquer. Heard it was good and the guy in the store had a guitar hangin' on the wall that he just finished with it and explained real good what to do. So, I thought I'd share here.

I'm no finishing expert, just having fun... I do like finishing with the rattle can lacquers and after two coats....what a difference this stuff is.

This picture is about 20 minutes in to the 2nd coat. Directions say to do 3 coats an hour apart, which I did tonight..... After 24 hours, sand with 600 and do 3 more coats..... repeat process until you have 9-12 coats. Wait a week and buff out with rottenstone or automobile rubbing compound (that's what the guy in the store used on his guitar)....

If ya'all want, I can take a picture after the 3 coats over the next couple of days.... or wait until it's done and put together... up to ya'all.

Last edited by Ed Sallee; 06-25-2009 at 5:53 AM.

Ed, I want the whole enchilada!! Print the whole book - right here!

Last time I was at Woodcraft, I saw some of the Behlen's and wondered how it would work. It will be educational seeing it happen live - well, nearly.

Im curios to see how this turns out Ed, looks really nice so far. I wonder how it would be on turned pieces??
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Ed, the boxes look good...you are going to love the Behlen's, its easy to worh with and it looks great....I sand with 400 then use coarse, medium, fine compound then swirl remover and finally wax...the finished product will allmost slip out of your hands
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Blog Entries
    Will do, fellas.... but it'll drag out for a while, as I do have the time to let it sit for the recommended week afterwards....

I can already tell a definite difference in this lacquer and I like it so far....

Ed

how is the smell with that. Do you have a booth or how do you vent?

Blog Entries
    It's a strong smell. I vent by opening 4 windows in my shop, opening the door and a floor fan pulling out the door. It all settles down rather quickly - I close it all up after about 5 minutes when I'm through spraying..... gotta keep the heat and humidity out too.....
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 06-24-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Looking good...I think a progression thread is in order.
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

Blog Entries
    I went down and wet sanded with 600 grit. Cleaned everything up first with a cotton cloth, then with a tack rag. This picture is after six coats. It definitely looks better in person. The lighting in the shop isn't great for pictures.

I am not paying too much attention to the inside of the small boxes.

Ed, are you using water to "wet sand?"

Blog Entries
    Yes on the water.....

Blog Entries
    This thread is as exciting as watching paint dry.....

I took this picture yesterday, this is after the 9th coat of lacquer.....

And, here we are today. I sanded the 9th coat with 1500 grain and wiped it down with a tack rack and then applied coats 10, 11 & 12.

I let it dry for about 4 hours....then I applied the flocking on the inside of the box. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll clean up the flocking, as it has to dry for 10 to 15 hours.... but, it ain't goin' anywhere for a while.... I'm thinkin' I'll just let it dry for a little while.

I still have to print out the real picture of Jayce.... but, the glass is cut and everything fits together like a charm. So, when I clean up the flocking, I'll glue in the parts to the top of the lid.

I still need to let it cure for a week or more.... I'm leaning to the "or more" side of that.... and then I'll buff them out and they'll be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    This thread is as exciting as watching paint dry.....
    Uhhh .... Ed, that would be lacquer - not paint Actually, I am enjoying seeing the progress - albeit paced!

Your flocking amazes me. You get consistent results everytime. Don't know if you recall, but you gave me some pointers back in the fall/winter when I was building some chestnut boxes for our girls. The flocking came out a bit streaked. Just didn't seem like I got good even coverage. Not being a box builder, I haven't had a reason to try it again. But, when I do, I will need another primer!!

Ed, nice project and love all the pics. One question for you, in your thread you mention rubbing them out. Did you fill the pores? If so what did you use? My exerpience with bubinga is that it is fairly open-pored and to get a nice smooth finish you need to fill-em.

I typically fill with BLO / pumince slurry.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Larry..... I did not use any filler.... although I did test out some.

I used Timbermate - Brazilian Cherry - diluted it with water in to a slurry and then sanded it down. Worked out well, but I didn't have enough of it to go around.... so, being on a deadline.... I just moved along....