Thread: Jobsite Saw Cross Cut Sled Question...

Jobsite Saw Cross Cut Sled Question...

I'm looking at getting a Dewalt job site table saw. Can one make a cross cut sled for it, that will be as accurate as one made for a cabinet saw?

Blog Entries
    You can definitely make a sled. The rails would need to fit your slots just like any larger saw. The usefulness / size may be impacted by usable table before the blade. Crosscuts one would make at a job site would probably be covered even with a smaller sled. I have a few sleds and always use the smallest, lightest one that will do the job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For a job site saw, I would use a single runner sled, actually a panel cutter, with a fence that spanned the blade. I would include a miter slot guided drop off table to support work pieces as they are cut. I use this system with my panel cutter and my Dubby.

Yes, you can make an accurate sled for the contractor’s saw. I have a Dewalt saw and made a sled, and it works well on its own for narrow boards. Wider stock needs at least an in-feed table, and without an out-feed table you need to be prepared to support the sled from dropping down at the end of the cut (depending on the size of the sled). Ideally the set up would have both in-feed and out-feed tables for wider material...making it a bit inconvenient for job site portability.

Blog Entries
    I have a dewalt job site saw and made a crosscut sled.

Things I wish or found out:

1. For me, I made two runners. Funny enough the width of the two miter gauges are not the same. I ended up making the second one again.
    2. I made the sled as big as the table. I wished I've made it wider than the table to support longer pieces.

You absolutely can make an accurate cross cut sled for a job site saw. This simple dual runner sled used William Ng's method to establish square. To keep the weight down, it's made of 1/2" Baltic Birch ply.

It is every bit as square as my old Unisaw sled was. I purchased Incra miter runners with the intention of using them, however the original maple runners have been great. I live in the desert, so seasonal wood movement isn't very significant.

The cross cut sled gets used often and the infeed table allows the sled to be pulled fully forward of a raised blade without tipping.

IMG_2868ec.jpg

IMG_1763e2 (2).jpg

IMG_2870ec.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 07-19-2020 at 3:15 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I find that I use the cross cut sled often.
    Great looking sled Dick. If that is a sort of 'support' in your first pic I think Derek and others would benefit from a little more show and tell on that. I use one on my can saw for a large sled I use for larger panels.

TS-Outfeed (5).jpgTS Sled Support (6).jpg

Mine relies on the Biesemeyer-like fence to secure it so, not much help on a job site saw. I can see how such a thing would be helpful on a smaller saw and would love to see how you fasten it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Great looking sled Dick. If that is a sort of 'support' in your first pic I think Derek and others would benefit from a little more show and tell on that. I use one on my can saw for a large sled I use for larger panels.

Mine relies on the Biesemeyer-like fence to secure it so, not much help on a job site saw. I can see how such a thing would be helpful on a smaller saw and would love to see how you fasten it.
    Glenn, that infeed table is very simple and slides into place on the DeWalt 7491RS saw with no tools. It is self supporting and very solid, and repeats perfectly against a stop. It made a big difference for using the cross cut sled.

I had one similar to yours for years on my Unisaw before I downsized to the jobsite saw and was happy to find a way to add one.

I didn't "design" it, rather just started clamping and fitting scraps from the shop and pieces of edge banding for shims, to see if it would work (hence the odd shaped angle support brackets). I had planned to make a proper nicely made one after the fact but this prototype works so well (as ugly as it is) I doubt I'll do that.

I'll apologize to Derek not intending to hijack his thread, just hoping this may help anyone who does want to use a cross cut sled on a portable saw.

Infeed table DWE 7491RS.jpg

Infeed table DWE 7491RS 2.jpg

Infeed table DWE 7491RS 3.jpg

Infeed table DWE 7491RS 4.jpg

In case anyone would like more detail, I have an anotated PDF of the build with critical dimensions although it isn't a "plan" per se. I'll share freely via PM.

This infeed table does restrict rip fence movement to the left, however that isn't of consequence when using the sled, and the table removes in 2 seconds without tools.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 07-20-2020 at 8:00 AM. Reason: Pics blew up ?
    Dick Mahany.