Thread: Inlay Question

Inlay Question

I'm working on an inlay, and am running in to an issue. The inlay is of a nesturtium flower and I want the stems and leaves to be green. I'm having a hard time finding something that works. Should I just paint the stem/leaves? Dye it? I saw one person say they used Eastern Maple infused with acrylic, but I'm unsure exactly what that process entails. Use some type of crushed stone? Or just scrap the idea?

Pretty new to inlay so I'm sure this is a basic question, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Poplar usually has some vivid greens in it.

there are dyed green veneers on the market.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I wouldn't use poplar,the green will turn brown after a short period of time. B&B veneers sells dyed veneers.They are dyed all the way through,so no worries about sanding through the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
    I wouldn't use poplar,the green will turn brown after a short period of time.
    Good call.

As others mentioned, you can buy dyed veneer. Sauers offers a pack with various green tones (can be ordered direct, from Woodcraft, and many others). The nice thing about dyed veneer is that it still has wood grain vs painting.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 07-19-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Poplar usually has some vivid greens in it.
    Poplar does at times have green in it but the green will turn brown upon prolonged exposure to light....

When my dad was alive he did a lot of Marquetry and purchased at least some of his materials from Constantines. He made several pieces with green leaves from dyed wood that still hold their color after many years.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-19-2020 at 8:54 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.