Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimax T40 Shaper

Hi Peter,

One thing you might try is going to the MiniMax website -- they have some manuals for discontinued machines and I believe that I saw one for the T40 in Adobe.

Scot

Checked there Scott, they have the "Parts list" which is simply a booklet of schematics and part numbers, very little else. There is also an "Instrucciones" manual (it is listed as a part in the Parts list!) and that's the one I can't seem to find. I haven't tried calling minimax directly, not sure how they would respond to a guy with an old used machine looking for a manual?

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Here are the specs from my manual. I don't have a scanner, but I'll see what I can do. Really, it is mostly very basic info, and since you obviously know shapers, it may be redundant. If you have the spindle style with a bolt and cap, then you can squeeze a taller tool onto the spindle if need be...

top dimensions: 870mm x 560mm
    top height: 900mm
    removeable spindle: 1-1/4"
    max spindle protrusion from table: 155mm
    working length of spindle: 90mm
    max tool diameter in table: 180mm
    max height of retractable tool: 60mm
    dust collection diameter: 120mm
    max tool diameter with fence: 180mm
    max tool diameter with tenon hood: 250mm
    motor: 3.6KW, 230V, 3PH
    J.R., I just got a Leuco rabbit/jointing/tenon cutter from Oella Saw and Tool that is 180MM. Man that is a big donut, and heavy is an understatement. I see from your specs that 180MM is the maximum tooling under the table. Have you ever spun anything that big on the T40? Is the tenon hood sold by Minimax, or was that a shop made apparatus? I have an email into a guy from the SCMI parts dept. whose name was given to me by Erik at MM on the users group board at Yahoo. He thinks it may be possible to get the owners manual from them. Any idea where to look for a sliding table for that shaper on the used market?

Peter, there is a fellow with a couple of T130 shaper hoods for sale on the Woodweb. He is located in CA. I'm not sure if they would fit, but they look like nice hoods for $300. I have used several 180mm dia cutters on my Hammer shaper (similar specs), and they work fine. I now have a couple of 250mm dia cutters that I will be using above the table. One fellow I know even mounted about a 25lb door cutter onto his.

Panhans makes a sliding tenon attachment that bolts to the table. There was a used Martin version on the woodweb many many months ago, but with that name you could probably buy a new knock off cheaper.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Peter, there is a fellow with a couple of T130 shaper hoods for sale on the Woodweb. He is located in CA. I'm not sure if they would fit, but they look like nice hoods for $300. I have used several 180mm dia cutters on my Hammer shaper (similar specs), and they work fine. I now have a couple of 250mm dia cutters that I will be using above the table. One fellow I know even mounted about a 25lb door cutter onto his.

Panhans makes a sliding tenon attachment that bolts to the table. There was a used Martin version on the woodweb many many months ago, but with that name you could probably buy a new knock off cheaper.

Brad
    These would be an upgrade from the MiniMax fence. They are heavy duty cast aluminum, but only the infeed (right side) is adjustable, at least if it is like the one I used to have. For that price, I would be more likely to keep looking for a 2-sided adjustable style that is easier to keep aligned to the miter slot. I have enjoyed using the aluminum style fence plates with filler bars - safe and precise.
    JR

Thanks for the tip Brad. I checked them out but as J.R. noted those seem to adjust from only one side, in this case in feed rather than out feed. I prefer a fence that adjusts from both sides. I have a spare Delta X5 fence, and while it seems strange to put it on a MM, it is a pretty good fence and should be a simple matter to tap the table for its hold down bolts. Can't quite swing an Aigner fence presently. I did get the shaper into the shop today, probably won't wire it up for a month or so in any event. This was more of a buy it while its cheap purchase than something I needed immediately.

I have the one side adjustment fence and for what it is worth I have been planning on converting it to two sided adjustment. I looked at it a while ago and it would not be difficult, but like many things, I have not found the time.......

Just a FYI for anyone with Minimax shapers and the fence with adjustments on the right side only. I have a Minimax T 50 shaper with this fence. While the adjustment is only on the right side of the fence physically it does adjust both sides of the fence. To do this you loosen one side of fence at a time and adjust. Then tighten that side down,loosen other side and adjust it.