Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quasi-finished Shop

The Quasi-finished Shop

Well folks here it is!!! The new Workshop!!! I finished construction about a week ago and have been busy ever since. I am kind of ADD so it is going to take me a long time to finsih what I have to finish. I am going to get some ply wood tomorrow to start building some carts and what not for all of the tools. I have a new planer, baby drum sander, bandsaw and many others to build stands for. I am going to be a busy guy. I will have a surprise for everyone in a few months time. It is going to be great. I hope it works out. Anyway, if you have any specifics about the shop design or anything, feel free to ask any questions. And a tip for all you people planning to build a new garage or anything, figure out how much you think it is going to cost, and then add 15%!! That is the biggest thing that I learned in this process. Enjoy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

More Pics

Here are a few more.. I also had to throw in a picture of my baby.. She is awesome. I have had it for a few months and I just got to use it for the first time last week!!! I love my General!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Isaacson; 06-25-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Chuck,

That is a nice shop! I can't wait to see how you finish it.

Nice lighting BTW. I also bought a different Lithonia fixture but they sure work well for me too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Did ya see the pic of my modified Grizzly jointer? I had the base with the wheels cut off of it. I got the table height down to about 28 1/2" I am going to put a mobile base under it and it will be right at about 30" like my table saw. I am also going to build all of my assembly tables and cabinets to have a finished height of 30". That is going to be the magic number for me.

I noticed the jointer but didn't catch the modification you made to it.

Was that the reason you chose your General T/S....the height of it? I've heard nothing but good about General Equipment BTW.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I noticed the jointer but didn't catch the modification you made to it.

Was that the reason you chose your General T/S....the height of it? I've heard nothing but good about General Equipment BTW.
    This General Saw is part of their ACCESS Line of equipment. Their ACCESS line is all "wheelchair accessible" equipment. I figured of all the tools that I want to be at my height, the saw is one of them. I can modify the rest. They had plenty of tools to choose from but the price is just too high for me. Check them out here.

CHuck

Chuck,

It is nice to see a manufacturer of woodworking and other tools who is making them so they can be easily modified or made especially to be wheelchair accessible!

Now that is cool!

I understand the cost thing. I'm currently remodeling our main floor bathroom. The type of shower door we like is still available but not with a brass frame which is what the LOML wants.

We found a possible alternative that sold at one site as "Accessible" it costs $400.

The same door sold at an RV place is $250.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-25-2009 at 12:58 AM.
    Ken

Hey another cheese head the shop is looking good lots of windows I like that. I can't wait till next year and I hope to build a new shop so keep the pics coming. How big is your shop...looks like lots of room
    Last edited by Philip Johnson; 06-25-2009 at 1:35 AM.

Congratulations! I've been following the process from the get-go and it turned out great! It's very well lit and those windows are fantastic.

Chuck, nice shop, nice saw.

I have the 650, great cabinet saw. I looked at the accessible machinery at the last show I was at.

It's such a simple, yet great idea, I wonder if other manufacturers will follow?

Please post photographs as the work progresses.

Regards, Rod.

Nice shop. I'm jealous. What a castle!!!

Chuck, congratulations on your "finished" shop. It looks fantastic. As one who has just had one built I echo adding at least 15% to the budget (maybe 20% just in case). I'm looking forward to seeing your progress as you build tool stands and other items for the shop. That's the same stage I'm in right now.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

If you only have to add 15%to the Budget, you are one sharp estimator. I usually end up in multiples once you factor in wasted materials and changes midstream. The shop looks great. I love the windows and lighting.
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html

Thanks everyone. I am going to pick up some plywood in just a few hours so I will be able to get started in just a bit. I still have a bit of trim work to do. I also have to get a set of doors for the shop. I also need to frame out all of the windows. I have some leftover stuff from when they built the house that I will use for that. I will just rip it down to size. I will be sure to post pics of what I "try" to build. I am still quite the newbie. Later.

Chuck

Now your getting to the fun part. Still working on the shop, but getting to use the tools!
    I'll echo the others...great looking shop. Lots of room and light. Enjoy! Anxious to see the further results. Jim.

Oh, and Don, I haven't seen pictures of your progress. Have I missed them?
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.