Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't try this at home

Talking Don't try this at home

I just had to do this when I was rebuilding my boat dock. Looked around the internet for ideas on gazebos and took a little from here, a little from there, a lot of "by gosh and by golly".

Not nearly done yet, but I have the rest of summer to finish it. Hopefully, the hard part is done. As you can see, there is no lateral support for the roof. I had a hell of a time figuring out how to put those rafters up there so they would stay. Finally had a brainstorm, and constructed the center octagon of 2x8's and lifted it with a drywall lift until I could cut and fit all the supporting rafters.

Cutting all these compound miters has given me fits! Some boards I've cut two, three and one even four times before I got it right. You can't imagine how complex this project has been so far. It is very easy to get turned around on angles.

Next the pagoda roof will go above the main roof, then a cupula to top it all off. I plan to use cut cedar shingles ($417 per square) since they are lighter and will add structural strength to the roof. Being on the lake, we experience a lot of wind, since there is nothing to stop it coming across the water.

I'll update this as I make progress. The wife says it must be finished by October for her class reunion in the back yard.

This has definetly been the hardest project I've ever tackled, harder than the Windsor chairs I am accustomed to making.

Okay...You've all been warned.........Don't try this at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Nice job. What's teh material?

The deck is composite decking material, similar to Trex. Expensive but worth it around water. The wood structure is pressure treated Southern Yellow Pine, which, I stained. Using the pressure treated SYP has added to the difficulty of the project since finding straight boards at the lumber yard these days can be an all day event. KEEPING them straight is another matter.

I've tried to stain the wood before assembly, however, the stain manufacturer recommends a wood moisture content of 11 percent before staining. Yeah, right! Maybe in a couple years! Some of those boards, I can barely lift into the truck, they are so wet.

Nice looking gazebo you have there. My dad built a big one a bunch of years ago and I recall him muttering "humm, that really should fit there ... but it don't" a LOT. Definitely very complicated.

Bob, looks like a great result to me! Framing is a completely different world than furniture building. And, as you have accurately noted, the PT wood is far, far from stable. If you mill, or cut a piece of stock, you better tie it down quickly. Even then, it is liable to pull the whole structure when it moves. You have done a great job taming the beast

Blog Entries
    Bob,
    Awesome project....but.....shouldn't you be out fishing instead of working?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Bob,
    Awesome project....but.....shouldn't you be out fishing instead of working?
    Actually, Dave, its been so hot here in Indiana, I've spent more time swimming than fishing or building.

That is coming out terrific.

The only thing missing in those pics is where's the ski boat!!

Excellent build Bob... I've always wanted one but just never got around to doing it...

Sarge..

Very impressive, and the "backyard" ain't too shabby either!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks good, Bob!! Really nice work with all those dang angles!!

Haven't seen a Chrysler outboard in years!! We always had pretty good service out of them~

What's the electrical going to power? Lights and a fan? That would be great on a warm summer night!

Thanks for sharing!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hulette View Post
    Looks good, Bob!! Really nice work with all those dang angles!!

Haven't seen a Chrysler outboard in years!! We always had pretty good service out of them~

What's the electrical going to power? Lights and a fan? That would be great on a warm summer night!

Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for the compliments.

The power is for an overhead fan and lights. I've extended it further out on the boat dock to recharge the trolling motor battery on the front of the pontoon boat. I am also installing a pump to pump water for the lawn and garden. Next fall, I'll install underground pipe and popup sprinkler heads.

It's finally finished

This took a lot longer to complete than I had planned. I thought it could get it done by Memorial Day. Ended up finishing it on Labor Day! About five weeks of vacation away from home got in the way. Glad its finally done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like all the hard work has paid off Bob.

Now it's time to enjoy it.
    Great job and thanks for the pics of the finished project.

Finished out well and a definite asset to both property and family, Bob. How large is the lake BTW? That whole deal looks very tranquil..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler