Thread: how to raise the 18'' rikon bandsaw

how to raise the 18'' rikon bandsaw

it will be in a finished garage--no exposed joist---looking for ideas----tks,joe

We're gonna need a little more info than that ...

What for? How high? Temporary? Permanent? Mostly ... Why do you want to raise it?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

rikon

no to install it -its new and lying flat in shipping crate--it weighs approx 320lbs

Aha!

So you need to tilt it up. I'm afraid i can't help ya with that - my 17" Grizzly came standing and I kept it that way :P

I'm sure someone else with a Rikon has done this before. They should be along soon...
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Joe, a good start would be one of those portable lifting cranes that harbor freight sells - I see them on Craig's list for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 from time to time. Another idea is if you can bolt something in the floor to let the base pivot but keep it frome from moving, you might want to try bolting something high on the wall and use a winch, or pulley system to pull it upright. The hardest part will be getting it moving- as it goes through the arc there is less force required, once you get it past 50 or 60 degrees you will probably be able to push it upright. Another option is to somehow pin the base in position, then use crowbars and wedges to start lifting the top, then switch to a floor jack - though make sure you have it centered so it won't flip one way or the other. One problem is that you won't be able to lift it much towards vertical with most floor jacks. Good luck.

Joe, two people will be able to easily stand up the band saw, just don't let it get away and fall over forward once it's upright.

regards, Rod.

My Grizzly also came upright. I dismantled the crate from around it, then with table and trunnions off tilted it onto a large furniture-type dolly on its back spine. Wheeled it into the shop, removed the bottom crate piece, and tilted it upright directly onto the mobile base. I had one helper but probably could have done it myself. Stabilizing the beast while on the dolly was the hardest part.

I don't know how the Rikon is crated but something similar might work.

just pick it up. Two people should easily be able to do this...

Joe

It's been a few years since I unpacked my 18" Rikon, but the biggest problem was getting it off the pallet it was bolted to. I will also tell you that there really aren't any real good handholds on it, at least not on mine
    Mine came with a lifting eye that threaded into a hole on the top at the corner of the frame side, so I used that with a block and tackle, which I understand isn't an option for you.
    Two people "can" pick it up, but they'll be doing some work that's for sure. If you don't have some beefy friends, rent an engine hoist for the day and save your back. You really do want to get it up in the air suspended if at all possible. taking the wheels and table off will drop about 90lbs of weight. The motor isn't an easy remove, but you could drop another 30+ pounds if you unbolted it.
    If it is going to go on a mobile base, place the base next to the pallet and position it on the base from the pallet.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If you do not attempt to lift the entire saw off the ground, but tip it up with one end on the ground, the amount of force required should be less than the full 320 pounds of dead weight. Taking off the motor may not be necessary, since it would be on the lower half of the package and will help discourage the package from tipping over. (The hassle of taking it apart may not be worth the amount you are lightening it since you have such a long lever arm). There was a PBS program covering this very problem, except that they were raising an Egyptian obelisk. Their solution was to dig a pit and use it to trap the end of the obelisk so that they could tip it up. You could do the same by putting something at the end of the package to keep it from sliding, whether it's weights or a 2x4 brace. I probably wouldn't dig a pit. You may not want to completely remove the shipping materials, since it may give you something to grab onto.

I also took delivery of a Grizzly 17" bandsaw, so it came delivered in the upright position. But I still had to get it off the delivery pallet and onto a mobile base. What I did was remove most of the shipping lumber and then raised the pallet off the ground by carefully tipping each side up a bit and using scrap lumber to provide clearance below the pallet. Do this in steps, using thin pieces of wood, alternating sides and building up each side. Then I assembled the mobile base under the saw base. After that, by tipping the saw slightly and slipping more scrap wood under the mobile base frame, I got the weight of the saw off the pallet, which I removed. At this point, I was able to roll the saw into my garage/workshop.

Forgot to add the most important tool: One of those green flat pry bars that used with shingling. The hook on the end is very useful to leveraging up the entire package just a bit to slip the wood scraps in. Incidentally I first used this incremental technique for raising a radial arm saw onto it's table when my spousal unit was mad at me and refused to help. I kept my secret of this technique from her for years just to get even.
    Last edited by Floyd Mah; 07-02-2009 at 7:30 PM.

I would reccommend that you install a strong hook, or even a pully above the saw and run a strong rope through it and tieed to the ring on top of the saw. I used a ratcheting type tie-down to lift the saw up to put it on my mobile base. I think you could use the same set up for putting the saw upright. The ratching feature is very important, it lets you go incrementatlly and rest if you need to. I was able to do it without any help. You'll be OK, just be sure your rig is strong and have 2 things in place in case it goes all wrong: 1. an escape route and 2., a camcorder running so you can send the video to AFV, earning you enough $$ for a new saw

Dave

make an A frame from 2by4's with a cross piece connecting the tops and the T's on the lifting side, put some casters on the 2by T's you use for feet to keep it upright and a couple of temporary 45 degree braces and use a block and tackle or comealong to lift it, the A frame will roll with it as it moves upright.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I lifted mine myself. just lift it. 3/4 of the weight is at the bottom.

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!