Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bead board/chair rail question....

In our house, Kitchen...35". Powder room....48". I will likely do the MBR at 35", too, as we like the appearance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    We did our girl's room last year with the pre-grooved sheets of "beadboard". The sheets are 4'x8' with the grooves runing the length of the sheet. So we cut them in half and butted 4x4 sheets together to form the "beadboard". We mounted the sheets a couple inches from the floor and capped with a "chair rail". So basically the whole she-bang is close to 50" tall.

(we didn't put too much thought into the height since we were going to use as much of the sheets as possible, so it was either 4', 2-2/3' (32"), 2',...)
    Dan you thought exactly along the lines that I am thinking right now as to using as much beadboard and wasting as little as possible. Personally, I like the beadboard much higher and I will also be cutting the 4X8 panels in half and running up the walls in my garage conversion project four feet plus the cap. Between three walls, the body of the bar that I will be building, the 24" valance that will hang over the bar, the window seats and the soffits around three quarters of the room, I will be ordering twenty sheets of 1/4" oak beadboard shortly.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

This is the bathroom in our addition. The shelf height running around the sink is just under 43". I didn't use beadboard, but beaded fir ceiling board because it's got a deeper profile.

One thing I did that made the beadboard installation easier was to put a layer of 1/2" plywood on the base of the wall instead of sheetrock. That gave something solid to nail the beadboard to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    ....up to about 8 feet and then hang the chair-rail ...

I do believe that's rightly called picture rail, rather than chair rule. Assuming you've 10 foot ceiling .
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

You can tell Todd ain't buying the material I use either 32 or 48 to get max use out of that expensive b board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Why don't you put your beadboard up to about 8 feet and then hang the chair-rail at the top and call it crown moulding!!!
    d,

Now that's a gen-u-ine ider there!!!!

Cheryl is voting for 48" so 48" it is. I ain't been happily married for nearly 20 years by not doing as I'm told.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Talking

We also went with 48" to maximize use of the stuff, and I like the way it looks "old". Todd, is that 36" measurement based on an 8' ceiling, and if so, would it change for 9' and so on? I know there are some proportion rules invented by the Greeks that dictate this sort of thing, but I've never actually seen the rule book.

FYI, the ceiling in the bathroom I posted pix of is 9'. The thing that dictated the height for us was the window. We wanted it set so the shelf (narrow on the window side) would function as the window sill.

I just finished installing the same thing in our bathroom, and I went for "higher than the pedestal sink and lower then the light switch plates." Came out to about 42", and looks just right.

-Jamey