Thread: Wixey on a shaper?

Wixey on a shaper?

Anybody ever used a Wixey remote digital readout on a shaper? Or a router in a cabinet? i am wondering how accurate these things are and how durable in a dusty environment.

I retrofit a bunch of old style ProScales into shapers and they did fine with the dust. Because they are electronic rather than mechanical, the dust didn't seem to interfere. My old style mechanical calipers could not handle any dirt or grit, but the electronic versions do fine. I think that the Wixey would be OK in these environments.
    JR

One thing you might consider, and I do not know if this would work, but Felder carries aluminum hand-wheels and dial gauges that fit inside -- they are pretty accurate to .001". I think that it fits on a 20mm shaft if memory serves -- I will have to check my catalogue. I have one on my J/P and it works extremely well -- the guage is sealed too so no worries about dust. Just a thought for something that might work out of the box.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Ferraro View Post
    One thing you might consider, and I do not know if this would work, but Felder carries aluminum hand-wheels and dial gauges that fit inside -- they are pretty accurate to .001". I think that it fits on a 20mm shaft if memory serves -- I will have to check my catalogue. I have one on my J/P and it works extremely well -- the guage is sealed too so no worries about dust. Just a thought for something that might work out of the box.

Scot
    These do work well, but you have to specify the thread or turn ratio for accuracy. I have them on some shaper fences and my moulder, but each one is different...

http://www.sikoproducts.com/PositionLine/
    JR

Thanks again guys for these thoughts and ideas. I bought the MM T40, but was saving for a PM2700, and I liked the idea of a digital height indicator, started wondering about adding one. JR, those siko units look similar to what exist on the wienig and wadkin molders at work. Is it difficult to add that functionality to a basic shaper?

Presently I set up in the ball park, measure a test piece with calipers, throw on a dial indicator on a magnetic base and adjust. It works well enough, but quick is not one way I would describe it. Any idea what thoseFelder or siko units cost? I am trying to keep my cheap used shaper cheap.

I never had to buy one of the Siko counters, so I don't know about price. woodtechtooling.com has them. I really like the ProScales because you can put the display anywhere, and the Wixey looks very similar. If it were me, I would go that route.
    JR

Hi Peter,

The Aluminum hand wheel is around $100 or so I believe and the guage is another $70 or $80 bucks -- it would be less than $200 for sure if the shaft size fits.

Scot