Thread: Good price for Red Oak?

Good price for Red Oak?

I am curious what is a good price for Red Oak in central Texas? This is what I found

"Northern Red Oak , Highest Quality , kiln dried , planed two sides , straight line ripped , ready to use for cabinet doors and face frames . 1.90 per board foot " . This is a hole lot cheaper than the Borgs but is it a good price to jump on?
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

Depending on how clear it is (i.e., how many knots) and the width, that's really inexpensive. One thing to consider, though, is that if it's S2S down to 3/4" thickness, you may have to use it as 1/2" thick. Red oak's one of the least stable North American hardwoods, so it will continue to move quite a bit after it's sawn, kiln-dried, and surfaced.

It's the same thing I pay here in metro Atlanta and yes... that's not a bad price if you can hand pick the boards. You might check to see what thickness they have planed too as my supplier can and will plane two sides to 15/16 if you request it.

I suspect they planed to 3/4" but that is an unknown factor at this point. If they did plane to 3/4" and you find some machine marks.. a hand scraper will usually take them out and after sanding you won't be much shy of 3/4" actually. Go for straight boards off their rack as any jointing at 3/4" will come up short of that mark in the long haul as mentioned.

Sarge..

I pay almost $4 for FAS red oak up here.

Wow, $4? Is this from a mill? I pay $2 for all species from the local mill, regardless of thickness or width, and if I have my own logs milled, he only charges 25 cents per foot, and $6 per blade if he hits metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nicks View Post
    Wow, $4? Is this from a mill? I pay $2 for all species from the local mill, regardless of thickness or width, and if I have my own logs milled, he only charges 25 cents per foot, and $6 per blade if he hits metal.
    No, it is from a lumber supplier. I have yet to find a mill out here. Even the reclaime log sawers are not as cheep as $2. I guse it is the price you pay for living in the beautiful Pacific North West.

Good price for Red Oak ?

Shawn;
    I also live in the metro Atlanta area like Sarge and IIRC the last time I bought Red Oak at Swanee Lumber it was over $2/bdft rough sawn. Since I got my planer, I no longer buy S2S lumber. I usually buy 4/4 if I want 3/4 stock and 5/4 if I need 1/2" stock or less after resawing.

Sarge;
    If your'e not buying at Swanee and it's not a state secret would you mind sharing your source with the "Hotlanta" guys?

Jim Pritchett

Thanks for all of the replies, I will ask him if I am able to pick through. I don't have a planer yet so I do need it to be to thickness. I do have a 6 inch jointer though. I am just tired of building stuff out of pine, because of the price difference.
    Shawn Stennett

Shawn:

I live near Fairfield and would be interested in buying some red oak if there is more than you want please let me know.

Thanks,

Wayne

Shawn expect to pay for thicknessing. At $2 you may get what you get.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pritchett View Post
    Shawn;
    I also live in the metro Atlanta area like Sarge and IIRC the last time I bought Red Oak at Swanee Lumber it was over $2/bdft rough sawn. Since I got my planer, I no longer buy S2S lumber. I usually buy 4/4 if I want 3/4 stock and 5/4 if I need 1/2" stock or less after resawing.

Sarge;
    If your'e not buying at Swanee and it's not a state secret would you mind sharing your source with the "Hotlanta" guys?

Jim Pritchett
    No secret Jim... I have been buying at Suwanee since around 1978. I sometimes pick up something exceptional at Peach State but they are generally higher. I do get contractors price at Suwanee and the last I purchased was almost a year ago so it could have gone up. Since that time I have purchased about 400 bd. ft. of QSWO there for $4.20 a bd. ft.

Interesting... I am about to post a computer desk-hutch in the WW Projects sometime next week. I came up 4 bd. ft. short last Sat. as I still had the front facing for the hutch to do. I happened to be going to Woodcraft to get a few things and picked up one board to cover me. It was $7.60 a board foot. I know 6 months ago it was around $6.85 a bd. ft. as I always look at their high prices on wood when in.

So.... the last QSWO I got was 140 bd. ft. at around $4.20 which has been that price for over a year. Has there been price increases in the last 4 months or so? I am going to call Suwanee Mon. as I need another 60 bd. feet of QSWO soon. I will ask about red oak also.

And BTW.. Suwanee quotes by the bd. foot. If $4.20 for QSWO is what they quote for 4/4.. they will give you rough if you wish.. straight line rip.. S2S in any thickness from 4/4.. 15/16.. 3/4 all for the same price as they don't charge extra to surface. The per bd. foot price does include a % of loss for ripping and planing but it is reflected in the bd. ft. marked with chalk on the actual wood you see in the rack.

I'm going to call Monday (I may just to up Tues. or Wed) and if anything has changed I will PM you.

Regards from down the street...

Sarge..

Thanks again guys, Wayne I will find out and let you know.
    Shawn Stennett