Thread: Best General purpose bandsaw blade?

Blog Entries

Question Best General purpose bandsaw blade?

Can someone suggest the best bandsaw blade for a hobbyiest for general purposes. I don't do much, if any, resawing, I'll use it, for the most part, to cut curves
    Thanks
    Dennis

surprised you haven't gotten all sorts of replies yet on this one. A lot of people really like the Timberwolf from Suffolk Machinery.

I don't know enough about blades yet other than you want a wider one for resawing. there are all sorts of different variations you can get and others here are much more knowledgeable.

if you call the folks at Suffolk, you can just tell them what you intend to do, and they will pick the best blade for your application... thats what I did.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Can someone suggest the best bandsaw blade for a hobbyiest for general purposes. I don't do much, if any, resawing, I'll use it, for the most part, to cut curves
    Thanks
    Dennis
    You should mention what type of band saw your using and it's blade length.

But for general curves in up to 3/4" material I'd say a 6TPI 3/16" blade. That is what I use.

I generally cut thicker stuff than 3/4" and I like a Bi-metal 1/4" 4tooth. Cheap and agressive. Does leave a somewhat rough edge, but a great general purpose blade.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I've got two BS's Dennis.. one strickly for re-saw and one for curves. I keep a 1/4" 6 TPI on the smaller for curves. The 3/16" would work fine also. And if you have a smaller BS as in 14" and under.. don't think you have to have a wide blade.

A 1/2" 3 TP is fine as I used one sucessfully for around 30 years on smaller saws to re-saw as many others have done. Wider is actually better but if you have a smaller BS.. you probably won't have enough spring to tension the wider blades. The 1/2" will work fine..

Good luck...

Sarge..