Thread: Walnut

Walnut

I have a question for folks that use Walnut. How much are you paying for Walnut 4/4 rough sawn air dried. I am curious and I have been thinking of doing something so I am just curious who is using walnut and what they are paying for it.

Thanks

George

My current supply is "free" as it was milled on the property, but my local supplier asks $2-2.50 bd ft for black walnut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ouch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    My current supply is "free" as it was milled on the property, but my local supplier asks $2-2.50 bd ft for black walnut.

I just paid $5 a bdft. Thankfully I did not buy much.
    Brad in Fl

Wall Lumber (http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp) has 100 bf for $325 plus truck shipping. I just finished a headboard and nightstand using their walnut and was very satisfied with the quality and accurate quantity.

I have no affiliation with them, I'm just a satisfied customer.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

All I've bought lately is kiln dried

But Ive paid as much as $6 and as little as $3.75. The latter at Service Lumber in Baton Rouge LA. Good stuff, too. In fairness to our local yard the $6 stuff was 12" wide.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Most of my projects have been under 4', so I get S2S air dried "shorts" from a local mill. The guy mills it to just over 3/4" thick in many cases, so I have to take a tape and be pretty selective to pick wood that is thick enough to get out irregularities. He allows this, so it works out fine. I give $1.50 for this, and it is locally harvested. He will not sort it by the log or anything like that. I get what is straight enough and thick enough. But I feel pretty blessed at that.

David

George,
    I picked some up a month or so ago for a very reasonable $2/bdft.

Of course, I bought it from you. If you're looking to get rid of some more, I remember how to get there.

Smile walnut aquisition :)

A little over a year ago I bought some air dried walnut for $1.00 a board foot. I don't know what his was graded at.. I would guess it is like #1 or #2 common. Was rough sawn and air dried. I never bought this lower grade before and it definately had some issues.. It was some of the most twisty stuff I ever seen. so little more effort when working with it was necessary but I Have been happy with it in general. SO lowest I have paid is $1.00 bf. I know paxton locally here in Denver sells it anywhere from $4 bf and up depending.
    I would agree with most other posts around $3 to $4 a bf or lower is probably fair... every once in a while you get a good deal though like I did.
    Also last year two other frineds of mine and I bought little over 600 board ft of cherry from out of state company and had it shipped. After all said and done came to about $3.35 a board foot.(that was including shipping) I came upon this deal on ebay believe it or not. Let us know what you find! I like the wood deal stories!
    Picture of coffee tabe from this walnut I purchased.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop