Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw restoration finally done

Bandsaw restoration finally done

About a year ago, I acquired an old (built in 1970) Powermatic 81 20" bandsaw. The saw worked fine, but looked pretty rough, had some corrosion here and there, and had some rough spots.

My original intentions were to just use the saw "as is" for a while. Then, I decided I'd do a little work on it, but leave the major components intact. Well, as I started taking it apart, and as I began looking at some other old machinery restorations online, I grew bolder (maybe dumber?).

As it turns out, I ended up taking it apart down to each piece. Everything was cleaned up, most were repainted, some things were replaced, working mechanisms were re-lubed, bearings were replaced, and tires were replaced and crowned.

After reassembly and an afternoon of measuring and adjusting, I'm pretty happy with the end result. It runs smooth and strong, and mostly works as I imagine it did when brand new. I do need to make a few modifications for dust collection, and I'm working now on making a replacement fence (the original was missing).

Oh, and I made a custom mobile base for it. The footprint of the PM 81 is odd-shaped, and I've been wanting to try a home-build mobile base anyway. Works great so far.

Now to put it to work. I have a bed to build for the master bedroom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ben West; 06-28-2009 at 1:59 PM.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Nice restoration!
    I worked in a shop in California that had one just like that. It would cut through 10” aluminum bar stock like it was butter.

Great saw!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks good Ben

I am restoring an old 20" Delta from the 50's. It's all there,fortunately,except a fence,which I managed to find. I need to get back to repainting it. It came from a school shop,probably,and had the usual barn brush thick paint job. Had to sand it all over,and installed a 1 phase motor.

This old saw is olive drab in its interior. I'm wondering if it started out in the Army.

Your saw looks really good,ready for many more decades.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-28-2009 at 5:50 PM.

That turned out very nice. Does it sit on the casters permanently, or does it lift for movement?
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Good job

Very nice. I bet it runs as good as the day it was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Petersen View Post
    Does it sit on the casters permanently, or does it lift for movement?
    I built the mobile base separately, but then bolted the bandsaw to the base.

Nice job. Very coincidental, today I was welding up a mobile base for my PM87. It was 109 in the shade here (and I was welding?) After that, 98 in the shop felt cool.

Great machine you have there. Did you reproduce the graphic at the top of the machine or was it purchased?
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html

Ben, quite a stark contrast!! Doing a restoration like that must give one a great feeling of satisfaction - both for the end result and saving a machine that otherwise would have been trashed. I admire those that take on these projects, as I just do not have the skills, nor the motivation.

Paul - Ugh, I know what you mean. June has been a scorcher here.

Bob - By "graphic," do you mean the white racing stripe? If so, I went to a local sign maker and had him make it from vinyl, based on the measurements of the original. All the Powermatic badges are original.

John - I always thought the same thing. I never really planned or had an interest in doing a machine restoration for the same reasons you have. This one just kinda happened. I was lucky that I didn't have any major mechanical problems to fix, and that my dad is a retired industrial mechanic, so I had a pool of expertise to draw on if needed. I am very satisfied with the end result and I'm happy I did it, but I'm not sure if I'll ever undertake a restoration again. It took lots and lots of time. On the other hand, I have an industrial quality machine for very little money (this bandsaw retailed for about $4500 when it was discontinued in 1997; I have less than $500 in it).

Good Job

It looks better than new!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I am restoring an old 20" Delta from the 50's.

George...you'll have to promise to post pics of the Delta once you're finished with it.

Good looking saw! I've got a soft spot for the "pea green" Powermatic machines. I've got a Model 30 sander and Model 50 jointer. Someday I'd love to find a Model 100 planer even though I have a 12" Parks about 60% restored.

Nice save, Ben..

Sarge..