Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of 6" S&D pipe?

Source of 6" S&D pipe?

Anyone here at the Creek know of a source of 6" S&D pipe in Southern California? I'm finally redoing my D/C system and the only places I've found on line want a fortune for shipping.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

I don't know about your area but here almost any well stocked building center carries it. Have you tried the local ones near you?
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

If you check the big box stores, they may have it in the yard, but just not in the store.

John

This stuff can be work to find in some areas. I believe a national outlet that may have it is Hughes Supply, they were bought by HD some time back and may have changed their name. Around me, whether the big boxes have is a crap shoot...some do and some don't, even within the same chain (Lowes might be the best bet). Asking for it those stores is usually an exercise in futility...Skippy Stockboy generally doesn't know what S&D is. Also, when I've found one that has it, it's sometimes not in the store with the other S&D, but outside in the racks somewhere. Anyway, it might be best to stick with the ASTM 2729 designation....of course that might only draw a more confused look. But a well stocked plumbing supply should have it...and if you do find it, you might be anble to get the fittings from McMaster Carr with a reasonable shipping charge. Good luck with your search.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Not to be an old lady...

But... The research I did on dust collection in a shop indicated using PVC or plastic piping was a no-no.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/PVC_piping.html

I got mine here:

http://www.horizononline.com/about_us/locations/

Perhaps one of their stores is near you.

Ken

We had a big discussion here about using plastic pipe in a dust collection system due to static. Some here said there was no scientific evidence of a fire being caused by plastic pipe. I made mine of spiral steel.

I purchased mine from an irrigation supplier. The guy who installed my sprinkler system called ahead for me. I was able to buy at his cost. Can't recall what I paid but it was 30%-40% less than retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    But... The research I did on dust collection in a shop indicated using PVC or plastic piping was a no-no.

This comes up from time to time. The defense says that there's never been a single documented case of plastic ductwork causing a fire.

I use S+D on my DC. a little static electricity is generated, when I touch it. I doubt it's a fire hazard. If it does start a fire, it will be when I'm in the shop and have a fire extinguisher. There have been threads about the chargers in battery powered tools causing fires (and documented cases), but I've yet to see an alarm sounded to stop using them.

I know you had good intentions, but plastic piping on a DC is about as safe as you are going to get.

Blog Entries
    Doug, I'm in SoCal near Riverside. Horizon had the lowest prices I found in the area. Stores in Riverside, Orange and a few in the San Diego area.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agricultural irrigation supply yards will have it.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Doug, I'm in SoCal near Riverside. Horizon had the lowest prices I found in the area. Stores in Riverside, Orange and a few in the San Diego area.
    Ditto on Horizon.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115087

Long thread to read. Conclusion: PVC is fine in a hobbyist shop and you don't need to wrap it in wire and ground it, etc., etc.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I admit to being completely clueless about California. Not exactly my neighborhood you know?

HOWEVER... From my experience in Oregon, Arizona, and now Texas, most Ace Hardware stores either carry the stuff, or would be happy to special order what you need...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

John Deere Landscapes, a nationwide chain of vendors of landscaping supplies for professional landscapers, carries 6" S&D. They have 43 locations in CA (see link). Get your fittings at Lowes. The fittings for ATSM 3035 (slightly thicker wall) will fit (same id) ASTM 2729 (S&D). Sched 40 fittings will NOT fit.

If you are a non-landscaper they will sell it to you but charge you almost double what they charge a professional landscaper so find a friendly landscaper to buy it for you.