Thread: Hitachi SB10Y and shop vac??

Hitachi SB10Y and shop vac??

I tried to hook my sander up tonight to my shop vac, and sure enough, none of the hoses or couplings I had worked. It appears to be roughly 2 1/2" OD. What is up with that? Any one tried this? Any remedies? The bag is worthless, and i figured the shop vac may help.

I have that sander and have it hooked up to my shop vac. What I used to connect the two was a Fernco coupling. If you're not familiar with them, you can get them in the plumbing section at HD. Lowes probably has them also but as there is no Lowes where I'm at I can't say for sure either way. BTW, the dust collect is very good hooked up to the shop vac.

Same sander.. I used a rubber step adapter from Lowe's in the section with Shop Vacs.. cut the end off and the vac end slides right in. And you are correct that it helps to the point very little escapes but I wear a mask anyway.

Sarge..

Dave,
    If I understand correctly I would guess you are talking about the flexible adaptors used for drain pipe correct?

John,
    I know the shop vac adapter you were talking about. I still was kinda miffed that it did not fit!

Both of those are great ideas! I will check at either the blue or orange BORGs....

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Dave,
    If I understand correctly I would guess you are talking about the flexible adaptors used for drain pipe correct?

John,
    I know the shop vac adapter you were talking about. I still was kinda miffed that it did not fit!

Both of those are great ideas! I will check at either the blue or orange BORGs....
    If it makes you feel any better.. I have a Hitachi 12" sliding compound miter saw and I did have a 10" Hitachi SCMS. They have unsual size dust ports also. Can be say... adapters and duct tape, boys and girls?

For whatever reason... they marched to the beat of a different drummer on the dust port design on what is otherwise very fine machines. The National HQ for Hitachi is about 8 miles from me here in Atlanta and I have mentioned this to the guys at the service center parts counter. They just throw their hands up and we all laugh.

The trick is to simply don't get your shorts in a wad over it and just accept it as the machines are good. Just add the adapter and move on to WW'ing as it is a minor issue IMO really. I've got 38 years accumulation of various power tools and it's not the first time I have had to adapt or modify something.

Good luck...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 06-30-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Dave,
    Jay, those are exactly what I was referring too.