Thread: Woodstock/Grizzly Miter Gauge

Woodstock/Grizzly Miter Gauge

I was just wondering if anyone has owned the Woodstock D3123 / Grizzly H3316 miter gauge. They appear to be the same unit...
    It looks nice and heavy-duty, and it better be what with weighing in at over 9 pounds!
    Im pretty much deciding between this and the Incra MiterV27.
    I like all the angle stops on the Incra, but Im fairly realistic in realizing that Ill be using this at 90* like 99% of the time anyways. The Incra also looks kinda flimsy, but maybe thats just cause Im comparing it Grizzly???
    Comments, reviews, advice and suggestions welcome!
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I really wouldn't spend $54 for a regular old miter gauge when the V27 is less. I bought the V27 when that was about all Incra sold as far as miter gauges. Still using the same one. Still accurate as all get out. The other two you show are just a bit above the standard ones that I have lying around in that mine do not have an adjustable bar. The Incra has the adjustable bar and laser-cut teeth that precisely set your angle, etc. I'd buy another V27 in a heartbeat. JMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Check Amazon....... The Incra is less than 50 bucks.

I've got the v27 and it's great. I never felt like it needed more "heft" - attach a piece of hardwood and go to town

Hi Jason, the first two mitre gauges look like the General mitre gauge which came with my saw.

If you want a mitre gauge, the General unit was very well made, however it was just a mitre gauge. (May be exactly what you want).

I purchased the Jessem mitre gauge with the telecoping fence/end stop. Fantastic angular setting accuracy and it cuts parts to the correct length without trial and error.

Regards, Rod.

Like some of the others, the V27 is a great miter gauge, it is strong and very accurate. I have one and it is really easy to add a fence to and the way it works makes it very easy to do repeat cuts.

The next one up from there is the Incra V120, the difference is the V120 has more notches on it but it is $65.

http://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITERV12.../dp/B001RCTTG6

Incra

I have the Incra you mention in your post. It's accurate and pretty sturdy. It also adjusts to fit the miter slot. So far I like it better than the original "heavier" one that came with my old Powermatic 66

I also have the Incra and just like everyone else said it's very accurate.

Another vote for Incra. I have the 1000se but the V27 is basically the same, for angle settign anyway.
    Gary

Jason,

I've been looking at better miter gauges for a couple of years. I really liked the Jessem, but after reading about some problems, I tried one at Woodcraft and the pins were loose. Instead, I went with the Incra 1000 HD. The fence was not perpendicualr to the table, and their instructions were to use paper shims in the miter head assembly. I checked the miter head without the fence, and it was more or less OK, so shimming it would make that part worse. I checked the fence, and the extrusion wasn't square. OK, so I make a sub-fence and shim it so I can use the gauge without the fence and it won't be off. Next, the fence was dragging on the saw top, so I checked it. It was the extendable part, which shouldn't even touch the table because of the plastic runner under the main fence. The extrusion that held the extension in place was warped.

Incra also states that the 1000 HD is adjustable in 6 places. Not really. There are 6 discs, but they are paired, so there are really only 3 places. Just be aware of how Incra ""counts". The whole thing seemed very unprofessional for a unit that cost almost $200. I returned it and pretty much wrote off Incra for good (I've had lots of trouble with their stuff).

I looked at the new Unisaw, and it comes with a pretty nice gauge. It has a spring tab to set common angles, snugger set screws and the head is like one of their old stock gauges. I found it available online at

http://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_products.htm

Scroll down to the Delta Deluxe Miter Gauge, part #1248. Cost is $59.99. I've ordered it, but don't have it yet. I don't know how it will perform, but the floor model looked like just what I was after.

Consider the Incra 1000SE. I have this, and have come to love the fence and flip stop.

another vote for Incra

I've got the Incra 1000 SE. It's pretty amazing. It's dead-on accurate. No problem making a cut to 1/10 degree, changing the angle, and then going back to that 1/10th degree setting. Plus, every time I use it, I find something else they thought of. The other day I needed to use it in the right mitre slot, and that's when I discovered the telescoping feature could simply be attached to the other end.

If you are looking for just a mitre gauge, the other Incra models will provide all the accuracy. Even if you only cut at a 90 deg angle, you'll get back to that perfect 90 deg angle every time you adjust the gauge. I don't think that is possible with the other gauges you are considering.

---Mike