Thread: "standard" drawer height

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"standard" drawer height

I am closing in on the final design for my miter station and was curious what everyone uses for their drawer heights? Most of the cabinets will have 1 drawer at the top with a door underneath...they will all be false front drawers.

No rules. "Typically" the top drawer faces in kitchen and bath cabinets are between 5" - 6" tall with an actual drawer box depth of 4" - 5". This "looks right" with a 36" tall cabinet with a 4" or 6" toe space. But for a shop cabinet, I would not worry as much about how it looks as I would about how deep the drawer needs to be to hold whatever you intend to put in it.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    No rules. "Typically" the top drawer faces in kitchen and bath cabinets are between 5" - 6" tall with an actual drawer box depth of 4" - 5". This "looks right" with a 36" tall cabinet with a 4" or 6" toe space. But for a shop cabinet, I would not worry as much about how it looks as I would about how deep the drawer needs to be to hold whatever you intend to put in it.
    I agree with David......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

What David says.

In my shop I have 6" depth drawers that are 2 feet square
    I also have drawers that are about a foot deep in which I toss things like my worm drive skillsaw routers and other things.

In the shop, the only considerations you have are function and robustness.
    I used half inch Ply for drawer bottoms exactly because I expected heavy items and heavy use.
    Unless you are one of those guys who wants beautiful furniture for shop furniture just make 'em heavy and big enough to hold whatever you expect to be putting in them. Don't forget to make the runners robust too.