Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Tractor Collectors

Antique Tractor Collectors

Got any Tractor collectors on here? Would like to know a little about the John Deere 720 series, if you got any. Did the google and other search, but would like real time info.

Hi Steve, I'm not a collector, but I've been around old 2 cylinder John Deeres on various farm, pretty much my whole life. What are you trying to find out?

The 720 is a good old tractor. Can be found in gas or diesel, pony motor or direct start. Decent hydralics and three point, power steering, ect. Also has that distinctive engine sound

Hey Steve just looking for general info. Maybe a good forum to try in the tractor world. This has been setting in a shed for about 15 or so years. Mostly locked up, pedals frozen, levers stuck. Thinking real hard about a resto.

Sounds like a good resto project to me! Can you post some pics maybe? I don't know of a forum for this subject, but I bet they exist. Around here, there are several guys that do resto's for a hobby. I bet there are in your neck of the woods too. Is yours a diesel or gas? Service manuals can be found for these too.

Don't know about the 720 but I do know that if it is painted green the green in your wallet will disappear fast.
    There is a forum that deals with antique tractors, Bing or Google Antique Tractors and that should get you to the forum.
    There is quite a lot of John Deere parts available for the older tractors because there were so many of them made.
    Michigan has a lot of collectors of old tractors. There is a guy about 5 miles from me that parks around 50 restored to new condition Farmalls in his yard a couple times a year. Went to the funeral of a friends older brother and found out that he owned over 30 John Deeres of different models.
    David B

Try tractorbynet.com then select their discussion groups.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to get a couple pics in a day or so.

Steve the 720 was made in the early to mid 1950s. A lot of them had power steering which is nice. They are new enough yet and popular enough that you should still be able to get parts from your John Deere dealer. Nice handy tractor to have around.

Steve

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    ...my daughter leading some of our fellow club members during "plow day" in North Haverhill, NH...she's on her 1949 Model M...

...more photos and stuff at club website...

http://twocylinderclub.org
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

If your a baseball fan you could try to contact Bob Feller

"He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Update, not looking like deal will go thru. Guess I will just keep looking around.

Steve,
    There is a Cockshut for sale on Craigslist in Mid or Northern Michigan for $1500.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Steve,
    There is a Cockshut for sale on Craigslist in Mid or Northern Michigan for $1500.
    Ever wonder what the heck they where thinking when they went with Cockshut for the brand name??? Thats a pretty scarce tractor too, I think.

Thanks David, but there can be plenty around here to be had. Jsut have to get out and beat the bushes a little. Father in law has a Ferguson T30 that I would love to restore. Oh course, what will we rake hay with?

Steve,
    Don't recall the origin of the name but the tractor has an interesting history, it originated in Canada and was a very well made tractor. I think it ended up with the name Oliver when it came state side. There are quite a few Cockshuts in my area of Michigan and they generally show up at antique tractor shows.
    David B