Thread: A Small Box for the Fourth

Blog Entries

A Small Box for the Fourth

Visiting friends this week. I was informed that I had let quite a few of these little scrap projects escape into the wild without taking pics so I caught this one in time. Boxes are great for burning scraps when you don't have a stove.

I use double stick tape to align the hinges and then mark the holes.

Matchbox F&M 001.jpg

This is a different "cube" waiting for rough shaping.

Matchbox F&M 003.jpg

I used shedua for the body, ash for the top, keys and "pull". several coats of clear shellac and a touch of paste wax. The box is sized to hold long fireplace matches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Very Nice, Glen.....

So.... double face tape to mark the hinges? Good idea... never have done it that way... can you expand on that a little?

Great combination of wood, by the way....

Long matches for the fireplace.... cool!

By the way.... "A Small Box for the Fourth" that holds matches...... Probably come in handy!~
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 07-01-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Good looking box, Glenn! What do you think about the ash? I have used it some, and so long as the grain is good, it finishes well. Sometimes the grain can be really a pain!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    double face tape to mark the hinges? Good idea... never have done it that way... can you expand on that a little?
    Wow Ed. It's great to be able to pass a tip back your way after all I've learned from your posts . . .

- I cut the mortises for the hinges, clamp the box and lid as shown and stick the DS tape to the box/lid.

- I peel the other covering off the tape and position the hinges and press real good.

- I remove the clamps and can actually close the box as if the hinges were screwed down. The tape allows me to make any small adjustments for a nice alignment of the box/lid.

- Carefully open and re-clamp the box/lid and use a vix bit to drill the hinge screw holes.

If all has gone well, the lid lines up perfect once the hinges are screwed down.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Good looking box, Glenn! What do you think about the ash? I have used it some, and so long as the grain is good, it finishes well. Sometimes the grain can be really a pain!
    Thanks John and you are dead-on about the ash. Some boards will splotch like difficult maple. I have actually re-made parts due to the finish looking so poor.

If you work hard enough, you can get a decent look:

done-1.jpg

I now try to clear coat it ONLY .

– Samuel Butler

A little bit of your G&G showin' thru there!! Nice!

Very nicely done, Glenn. Thanks for the tip on the double sided tape on the hinges as hinges are not my favorite thing to do. I agee on clear coating ash as my experience with staining it years ago was not good but... I am no finish guru to begin with.

BTW.. nice idea on a fire-place match box. Could you give the dimensions as I can almost guess but....

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If all has gone well, the lid lines up perfect once the hinges are screwed down.
    Looks like it all went perfect! Nice work. I love handle and the bold lid.....

Thanks for the tip!!! It'll come up sometime in the future.....

Very nice little box Glenn, came out great!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

"Thanks John and you are dead-on about the ash. Some boards will splotch like difficult maple. I have actually re-made parts due to the finish looking so poor."
    There's a way to deal with species like this if you want a darker color - use a toner. A toner is nothing more than a bit of dye in finish, generally applied after an initial clear coat and before a seal coat is put on. The initial clear coat prevents end-grain orientations from absorbing too much dye and blotching, and the toner coat gives you the color/shade you want.

It works well, especially on really difficult to color woods like pine, ash, and oak.

Glenn, very nice work. I love the grain on the top and pull. Also like the "raised panel" top.