Thread: HVLP turbine alternatives (DIY)

HVLP turbine alternatives (DIY)

I was reading another thread where people were talking about converting Vacuum cleaner motors to an HVLP setup

I recently acquired a Walcom Italian FX Geo in absolutely perfect condition HVLP. I haven't used it because of the (a) need to get a clean air stream at 28 PSI steady and (b) I haven't built the spray booth.

Making a turbine that will move the air I need at or above the states PSI would eliminate a lot of hassels especially oil and crap from my 30 year old 5HP crapsman compressor.

However purusing the Vacuum motors on Grainger ( http://tinyurl.com/m7u838 ) and other places I don't see PSI out put data. At better than $100 a pop it's not the sort of thing one would just purchase and take the chance of dissapointment.

Is there an extrapolative method to arrive at the data one needs?

Hi Cliff,

1 psi (lb/in2) = 6,894.8 Pa (N/m2) = 6.895x10-3 N/mm2 = 6.895x10-2 bar

This is from The Engineer's Toolbox: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/va...ter-d_460.html

HTH
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I recently acquired a Walcom Italian FX Geo.
    Cliff, If this is the gun I am thinking of, I know something of it.

I don't know whether or not you are going to be able to convert it straight away to a gun that will work with a turbine. I am not 100% on this but I think some of the internal chanels will be smaller (at least initially) in a conversion gun than with a turbine-based gun. I had a turbine gun and it's innards had some pretty big air passages in it, definitely bigger than the pressure-pot based Walcom conversion gun I have currently.

Best case is you might need to remove a restrictor of some type. I would recommend calling Jeff Jewitt at Homestead.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Cliff, If this is the gun I am thinking of, I know something of it.
    You betchya~!!

I may just use a line water and oil filter on my Crapsman compressor and a fresh dedicated hose. It's got a lot of Ooommph and CFM out-put and will prolly do the job.