Thread: 1/2" Router Collet

1/2" Router Collet

My router comes with that. But I need 1/4". I ended up ordering it on line. Borg stores can be so useless. 4-5 of the Orange & Blue in my area and no one carries collets or adaptors.

Arg!

Mike

I can understand that, I am sure they would not sell very many of them. Most routers come with both so it would not be something they would need to stock.

Makes sense. Mine does not come with the smaller collets.

Blog Entries
    I've found that the borgs stock a lot of tools but they don't stock parts. Don't go there looking for router base plates, band saw tires, drive belts, etc. Good bargains on tools but no after sales support.

I hate to ask, but did you check the cord? I was positive I didnt get a 1/4 in collett with my PC router but it was zap strapped to the power cord, and I never noticed it.

Paul, glad you asked, I went and checked, no collet on the power cord. Mine is the 7539. I went and looked at package info on amazon. 1/2" listed as included, but the 1/4" is listed as an available option. Same with the 3/8". I already ordered it. Two steps forward, one step backwards. Eventually I will be able to go into the shop and do something without having to order something, and wait for it to show up.

You would think as high $ a router as the 7539 is they wouldn't nickel & dime you for "optional" parts. Wonder if any PC reps browse this site. If they do, are ya hearing me?

Yeesh.

Mike

You did not mention the manufacturer. I know that plenty of Creekers have Porter Cable routers, and they always seem to be trying to get rid of extra 1/4" collets, so you might be able to get one for free if you play your cards right.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

That's OK, I already ordered one.

Mike

PC does not supply a 1/4" collet for anything bigger than 2-1/2 hp.

Only 1/2"

1-3/4 hp and down to 1hp, have both collets

Used these for years and have thrown away my 1/4 collets. Makes life easier. Reducing collet;
    http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...er_accessories

Jim, I have read about those. But the one I found did not look that well made. But the ones you listed do look good. I might pick some of those up. Thanks, Mike

Not to create any controversy....just stating my experiences.
    I've had 1/4 bits slip quite often using those reducers. Freud and PC routers. New bits, new reducers and fairly new and clean collets.
    Ordered 1/4" collets for the PC and Freud and haven't had any more slippage.

Gene
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    You would think as high $ a router as the 7539 is they wouldn't nickel & dime you for "optional" parts.
    Mike
    Um..well, Mike, the P-C 7539 is a BIG plunge router! Not sure I agree but P-C's thinking, but I'm betting they *think* a 3-1/4 hp router would primarily be using 1/2" shank bits. Thus, the 1/4" collet is an option. And, the 7539 shares it's collet with the smaller 1-1/2 hp. 690 routers, and the newer 890s.

You got one helluva router there! You already bit the bullet, So enjoy!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Um..well, Mike, the P-C 7539 is a BIG plunge router! Not sure I agree but P-C's thinking, but I'm betting they *think* a 3-1/4 hp router would primarily be using 1/2" shank bits. Thus, the 1/4" collet is an option. And, the 7539 shares it's collet with the smaller 1-1/2 hp. 690 routers, and the newer 890s.

You got one helluva router there! You already bit the bullet, So enjoy!
    You are correct. Finding 1/2" bits locally is a challenge. And I will primarily use those bits.

Mike