Thread: Consignment Split

Consignment Split

What do you see as a reasonable split of the selling price of your turnings? I've seen 40/60 mentioned and I think that's a bit rich for the shop keeper but maybe I' naive.

Tom
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

That's the big reason I don't go that route-----you do the work and they get the profit.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Well, I don't like it a whole lot, but the galleries that I have work in are 60/40 and even 50/50!!

I have 2 answers

I sell at a gallery and at a consignment shop. The gallery gets 35%, but you can add the 35% to your price so you get what you want for the piece. I just put a price on and let it sell and then pay the 35%, I want to sell my work and hope that there are repeat buyers. So far the repeat buyers have more than made up for the cost to the gallery. Exposure and having your work in as many homes and businesses will get you more sales. The little consignment shop sells a very eclectic collection of art, jewelry, clothing, potporri and lots of other things. They charge me 25% but if I sell over $50 a month they charge a $10 handling fee as the paper work becomes greater. You just have to decide what you want for your work and stick with it. If you want to get rich quick then turning is not the venue! It takes years to get known or the right people to buy your work and display it to others who have the same likes. I get e-mails from people I don't even know that have seen one of my turnings and would like to have a similar piece made for them.

The bottom line is sell QUALITY work in QUANTITY and eventually it will catch up and you won't be able to keep up with the orders and replies to all the e-mails from satisfied customers!

Time is your friend,

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

It depends on your area......... One gallery my stuff is in gets 25%, another buys what they like outright at wholesale prices. I really like the wholesale route
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

40% is common, the lowest I have seen is 30%
    That seems high from our viewpoint but the gallery has to make money too, most (at least in my area) of them struggle to stay in business.

I would rather pay the commision and spend time doing more turning instead of spending my time trying to sell stuff. To each their own.

I've been selling in galleries for many years. The almost standard split in galleries a number of years ago was 40% to the gallery and 60% to the artist. Now with most galleries, especially high end ones it's 50/50.

Yes it's true that 50% seems a lot for a gallery to take, but their expenses can run quite high. If it's a good location, the rent will be high. They will have paid help, utilities to pay, and more. I wouldn't have my work in a gallery that didn't cover my work with insurance. This has paid off a couple of times when my work was stolen.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 07-02-2009 at 2:40 PM.

I sell a few things in a local community art center which is non profit. They take a 35% commission for members, 40% for non members. But they sell things. That's what counts

My local gallery on takes 15% or 20% but I they want you to work it 2 days a month which I can't do with my schedule so I have no pieces in it. I would rather it be higher and not have to work it.

Bob

I do the galleries exclusively. I have my stuff at two of them. They get 30% and like Curt said they sell. I make more at the 2 than I did when doing 6 or 7 craft shows a year and I don't have the hassle of setting up, tearing down, traveling, etc. I take them in, they set them up on display, do the paperwork and just send me a check each month. I just got my check today for $205 for some pens, a vase and bottle stoppers sold.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Unhappy

We have a community arts centre that takes 30% and that would be ok if they moved things. But, I don't see any evidence of them advertising in the local papers or the local hotels and motels (this area is a tourist destination). The building is well off the beaten track so what can be expected except slow sales. It's time for me to pay my annual membership dues and I think I'll have a word or two with the management, not that I believe that will change anything.
    Tom in Qualicum Beach