Thread: Drill Press chuck key size

Question Drill Press chuck key size

Just picked up a used Powermatic 1140 DP a couple of weeks ago, can be seen here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115118 . It didn't come with a chuck key, so I'll need to get a replacement. Can anyone tell me what size to get; not sure what dimension is needed, is it the shaft or the key/gear (or whatever it is called) diameter?

Also, can anyone direct me to a source for an owners manual for this particular DP?

Thanks,
    Ed

Ed,
    Do a Google or a Bing for the manual or give Ebay a try. It might take a while but if you are persistent you will end up with one.
    As for the key try the same thing or check with the manufacturer if the folks on SMC can't help you.
    The local Borgs have replacement keys you might luck out there.
    David B

Ed, the chuck should have a number on it, which would cross reference to a key size.

For example my Milwaukee drill has a Jacobs 33BA chuck, which a supplier can look up and determine that it takes a K32 key.

Any industrial supplier should be able to supply a key...Regards, Rod.

Along the lines of what David and Rod said, here's a link to a page in MSC's catalog: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...0&PMT4TP=*LTIP
    Table in the upper left corner allows you to find the key for any number of Jacobs chucks.
    If your chuck is another brand, the hunt may be longer. You can trial fit various drill bits in the pilot hole to determine its size. Knowing that bit of information can narrow the search.
    There are self-ejecting chucks keys for a few bucks more. Firing up the drill press with one still in the chuck persuaded me they're a good idea.

BobV

Spend the extra few bucks for the self ejecting key!!!!!!

Is the chuck in good shape? If the teeth on the chuck is a little wasted, you may be better off buying a new chuck, since it comes with a key. Or you can upgrade to a bigger and/or better one. I bought a new key, and found out that the chuck teeth are actually the messed up part, and new key did not help at all.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I looked at the chuck and the number on it is: RJ33-13L, it doesn't have the Jacobs name on it. I measured the pilot hole with a caliper and it comes to about .25". I looked at the MSC link and doesn't appear to list the exact model number that's on my chuck.

The chuck teeth appear to be in good shape, but since I don't have a way of tightening the chuck, I can't tell if it is serviceable. It does operate smoothly though.

I did check ebay for the manual and there is one listed for $15.00.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bamba View Post
    I measured the pilot hole with a caliper and it comes to about .25".
    Calipers can be deceiving on a small hole like that, because the caliper jaws have thickness. A more reliable test requires a set of drill bits (ideally, by 64ths - and, if you own a drill press, a full 29-piece set, 1/16" - 1/2" by 64ths is a good investment) - put progressively larger bits into the hole until you find the bit that fails to go in; the size right below that is the size of the hole.

The following is based on my limited knowledge: Most modern drill presses mount the chuck on a double-tapered adapter (J33 being a fairly common size for the chuck end, which is probably what yours is, given the number; the other end is most often a Morse taper). These are removed, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please), by driving wedges in next to the base of the chuck until the chuck pops off; or, some presses have a slot through the quill right at the end of the Morse taper end of the adapter, in which case you drive an appropriate wedge into the slot - have something to catch it, like a tupperware bowl. Then you can carry the chuck to a good tool store and match the chuck key directly; a good store can also advise you on the condition of the teeth on the chuck. You reinstall by making sure the tapers (male and female) are clean, inserting the taper in the tapered hole, and using the drill press itself to press the chuck into a block of wood on the table firmly (in the Tom Hanks sense, not the Arnold Schwartzenegger sense, of that word).

Save your money. Download the manual from PM. Just search for PM and your model number.

That J33-13 sounds like a standard taper 1/2" chuck. You can probably get a key from the BORG.

When I got a replacement for my Delta, I got the 4 key cross with a magnet in the center, handy as a pocket on a shirt