Thread: Cabinetmaking schools?

Cabinetmaking schools?

I find myself in a situation where a carreer change is a good idea and I am thinking why not try something I love to do. So does anybody know where I can get formal training in cabinetmaking near my area?

When you say "cabinet making" do you mean kitchen cabinets or furniture?

The reason I ask is that it's extremely difficult to make a living as a furniture maker. The problem is finding people to buy your furniture, or people who will commission you to build custom furniture for them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

find a well established cabinet shop in your area and talk to the owner about getting a job as a helper where you will be able to learn by doing. OTJ training is better than most schools for establishing the fundamentals of real world cabinetmaking skills. after a year or two of that you will be as asset to anyone who might want to hire you on as an apprentice. whether you want to build furniture or kitchens you will need a good foundation and this is one way to obtain those skills.
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 07-01-2009 at 9:45 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Well I was recently laid off from my plastering/carpenter job and went to a cabinet shop seeking a job with hobby experience and the guy acted like I would lose my arm in 5 minutes and ran me off. So I was wondering if there was any type of formal training.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cavender View Post
    Well I was recently laid off from my plastering/carpenter job and went to a cabinet shop seeking a job with hobby experience and the guy acted like I would lose my arm in 5 minutes and ran me off. So I was wondering if there was any type of formal training.
    Justin,
    Plastering is a very good job.
    Learn few new tricks and you never run out of work.
    Historial restoration and old house renovation ( Repairs )
    Call me at 732-259-9984 and I can give you few hints.

Quote Originally Posted by sean m. titmas View Post
    find a well established cabinet shop in your area and talk to the owner about getting a job as a helper where you will be able to learn by doing. OTJ training is better than most schools for establishing the fundamentals of real world cabinetmaking skills..
    This is exactly what I did. I had a variety of 'construction' experience generally, though nothing you would call deep or formal. I took an entry level job for a cabinet and millwork shop in the flooring department. I spent nine months straight lining ripping wood for molding, sorting lumber, grading lumber for specific in house needs, etc. I can spot sap in rough QSWO from the next county at this point. Then I moved on to stair treads (very exciting, finally something that involved glue!), S4S parts for other guys and customers, odd glue ups of all sorts. From there I was put in the passage door shop as the lead sanding wench. Spent weeks at a time sanding out cross grain scratches, detailing panel molding, etc. Learned to remove every dent, ding and scratch imaginable.

Nearly five years later and I am an entry level journeyman, except on the days when I am an advanced apprentice. I make doors, cabinets, frames, paneling, moldings, all sorts of millwork. I have even had the chance to make a few pieces of furniture. Today I was reworking a range hood surround that was rejected due to molding elevation issues not indicated on our plans. I had to use my moderate plastering skills to ease the transition between a 10" radius cove and a 6" flat riser tacked on top with epoxy filler. I could have used your help!

I also took and still occasionally take classes at a local wood craft that attracts a variety of highly skilled wood working instructors. This keeps me exploring new techniques growing my repertoire of skills. One of the best classes I took was with Mario Rodriguez on hand cut dovetails. I have never made a dove tail at work and probably never will as we outsource our drawer boxes, but the proficiency I gained from that one class gave me a great push forward in terms of proficiency with hand tools which I do use daily. Formal education gives you a chance to learn slowly and methodically in a way rarely allowed OTJ.

Any way you slice it its a long road. Excluding myself, every guy in the shop I'm in has at least 20 years experience, and most fairly well hate it at this point and think my enthusiasm is a folly. Doesn't discourage me at all though. I spent nearly a year looking and going on interviews for an entry level position. I had been a chef and chuckled when one guy asked me if I felt comfortable around sharp cutters and machines. Slicing proscuitto paper thin is not unlike slicing veneer, except an orbital slicer can really hurt you! So if its what you want keep at it, it will happen.

Just be prepared to make nothing. I don't know about other parts of the country, but even as a journeyman there aren't any jobs at a cabinet shop that you'll earn more than $25/hr. Most green labor is hired at about $10/hr here as well.

Is the North Bennet Street School in Boston still in business? Also, Ian Kirby used to operate a school.

If you're already familiar with machinery operation and basic woodworking tool use, and know a bit about the common furniture woods and their properties, a school might be an appropriate learning environment. That, or a shop doing the kind of work you're interested in (if you're lucky enough to get hired, even as an apprentice.)

For a total newbie, I'd agree with the suggestions to find an entry level slot in any kind of shop that deals with woodworking -- architectural millwork, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Just be prepared to make nothing. I don't know about other parts of the country, but even as a journeyman there aren't any jobs at a cabinet shop that you'll earn more than $25/hr. Most green labor is hired at about $10/hr here as well.
    Sounds about the same as here. There is some good money in side work, when there is side work. Of course if you put in 30hrs in your own shop after spending 40hrs making some other guy money, your quality of life starts to suffer. Or you go out on your own chasing the money and find out just what that other guy was doing to deserve his money. You may even find out running a wood working business starts to have less to do with woodworking and more to do with business than you thought.

One profession that you could do well by is concrete. Go be a grunt for some concrete guy for a couple years and you will know enough to go it your own. Concrete requires very few tools and can bring in some good money if you have the skills to make it look good. It is an art form though and some people just cant get it down.