Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When All The Planets Are Lined Up Just Right...

What size work do you guys use these whispy shaving on?

It would not be small boxes would it, Just Kidding

I been there and done that, when I moved on to truley using the planes to plane wood and got over its newness of my planes till it was just another tool in the box of many tools... Now I love my planes but its not a scraper or a sander... Its job is to true wood and the finish is just a extra that goes wth the straight surface IMHO

I too felt the same way with Steve's moment but was quicky brought back to real life by some old timers that told me thin shavings just bunch of modern hype..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    What size work do you guys use these whispy shaving on?
    Christmas tree ornaments! You just gotta use your imagination.

Obviously you would just tire your arms out dimensioning lumber taking whispy shavings. He can, however, set that same plane to hog off chips. But on the other hand, it indicates a tool that is tuned to near perfection and capable of very fine work.

I like tools that are also works of art, so I don't think that function is all that matters. That an old stanley plane can perform so well (albeit with a LN blade) is just the cats pajamas. I just drool over a Brese plane. He's got those custom made lever cap screws in them that look really nice--and why when any old hardware store bolt would do the job?

Phil,
    One of these days I need to make myself a infill plane, I don't own even own a infill...

I am quite happy using old Stanleys so far and like you enjoy the art it took to make the parts and they way they look...

Yes being able to set a plane to make a thin shaving is a coming of age kind of moment.. In fact getting the blade flat across is 10x harder than sharpening it with a slight camber...

I just did not want Steve to think he is at the bottom of the slope, in fact I think he is closer to the top than the bottom

My last moment was when instead of pulling out my TS I grabbed a hatchet and split a piece of 4S Oak and planed the chunk I split off to size.. I thought to myself wow that took 5 mins and was how a real neanderthal would have done it
    I am not a big hand tools guys I am a what ever is more easy these days so it was big for me not for most...
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 07-03-2009 at 9:47 PM.

Johnny,

I basically agree. The tool first of all has to perform its function and a plane's function is to leave prepared surface. The shaving is simply a by product. The condition of the waste says something about the quality and performance of the tool and the user though. Poor tools are frustrating and can discourage learning. A well-tuned tool is a beauty to behold. It's even better when you can see the craftsmanship that went into making it eye catching.

When I look at the work you do custom making parts and work like George Wilson produces, I realize that I am a novice. Some people look at a box I built, or my office built-in furniture and say, "wow, you did this" but compared to really skilled craftsmen its just ham and egg stuff. I have so much to learn.

I use your website as a resource to tune up my planes pretty often --I haven't gotten them to the condition that Steve has though.

Blog Entries
    Like Phillip, I am not a master at woodworking.
    I do not regularly use power tools. Sanding is done by hand. Having the ability to put a nice surface on the wood with a plane will save time by not having to sand.

Often, the only finish on my book cases and such is stain. My wife and I both like the feel of untreated wood. Many pieces like a narrow trestle table for stuffed animals has remained unfinished because we have not decided what to do with it other than cover it with stuffed animals.

Like a sports car, a plane has a range of abilities. One is not required to use all of the abilities of either, but that is no reason to forgo the abilities when it is not creating a dangerous or unlawful situation.

Besides, if one is shooting a miter or some end grain, they are likely to be taking thin shavings, not making shims for the next door they have to frame.

jim

Phil,
    Most master dont consider them selfs masters just workers..

Most any one can master a few steps to make some really nice looking items..

You dont need My Skill to make nice stuff, the main thing is to work safe and take care of your eyes and fingers at all times.. Dont day dream, keep you mind fixed on the task at hand and dont let it wonder till you doing something that totaly safe..

Ohh and try to think the job through to the end before you begin.. Think how you will hold or cut the work before you have to do it..

Everyone have a happy 4th of July
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 07-04-2009 at 1:25 AM.

Wow, lots of action here since I last looked. Been working 12 hr. backshifts all weekend, so not much time to spend perusing the 'net. I guess everyone works differently, nothing wrong with that-to each his own. Like Jim said, the more work I can do with planes the less sanding I have to do. My sinuses don't seem to be able to take the abuse from fine sanding dust that they used to, so finish planing gives me a welcome break from that- can't stand those dust masks.
    I don't think that too many of us consider ourselves to be masters of our craft, that's why we are here on this forum, looking at others' works of art, asking questions, and offering advice where we can to others, and the occasional self-indulgent gloat of a new tool, a completed project, or a lightbulb moment. I know I am continually learning things about woodworking-and about tuning planes, for that matter-and this forum has been instrumental in that learning curve. I've also gotten a wealth of info from Johnny's site on handplanes.
    In the end, I guess all I can say is to enjoy the process...whichever way you get there.

Steve