Thread: Leather engraving

Leather engraving

Lasering a dark image on light leather is no problem but has anyone figured a way to laser a light image on dark leather i.e color fill, die, masking, etc? Or is this an invention needing to happen?
    Bob

Bob, if you do a Google search I, I recall last year one of our members displayed some pictures of some very nice leather work she color filled.

Update.... I tried a Google Search & could not find it, but I know it's here some where. grrrr Does anyone remember that thread? It was I believe a Western theme notebook or something like that?
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 07-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kline View Post
    has anyone figured a way to laser a light image on dark leather
    Hi Bob,

You could try masking tape, burning it, paint fill then remove the masking tape. Never tried it though.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

dye

It also depends on who the leather was finished, dyed. Most commercially dyed black leather is done with a salt process so it is a through and through dye. No chance that you will change the color there. However, I did engrave a monogram on a leather portfolio and the difference in textures gave a nice finish and look. I am guessing that if you finished, dyed the leather yourself, you could then laser off the surface such that you could get it back to a lighter shade. Again, I have not tried this so I am just supposing this idea might work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Are you trying to engrave a raster photo or a vector image?

For vector images, I've used thick armor/saddle leather and hit it with 5% speed/100% power to go about halfway through the material. After that some were color filled, others airbrushed by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wallace View Post
    It also depends on who the leather was finished, dyed. Most commercially dyed black leather is done with a salt process so it is a through and through dye. No chance that you will change the color there. However, I did engrave a monogram on a leather portfolio and the difference in textures gave a nice finish and look. I am guessing that if you finished, dyed the leather yourself, you could then laser off the surface such that you could get it back to a lighter shade. Again, I have not tried this so I am just supposing this idea might work.
    I've had black leather wallets turn everything from gray (normal color for black) to bright white (that was weird) and every off white/gray shade between, but have never had 'black' leather engrave black or even dark, yet..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it