Thread: Finish inside of carcase?

Finish inside of carcase?

First time building a carcase that will hold 9 drawers. Should the inside of carcase (that is never exposed) have finish?
    Cheers

Personally, I'd finish the inside.

Afterall, finishes aren't only for looks and durability...they also seal the wood and minimize large changes in moisture content within the wood so it keeps it more stable. Of course, some finishes are better than others at this.

Also, you want balance in the wood: think what may happen if one side of a board is finished and the other side is not. You may have a stability problem with that board as the seasons change....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I once made a blanket chest and finished the inside and outside with Tried and True Tung Oil. The inside stunk for a long time. I'm currently making another blanket chest with 1 drawer and was planning on a oil based finish for the outside and shellac for the inside.

~mark

I personally would not finish the inside. It really is not necessary.

I too wouldn't finish the inside, but if it bothers you not to, then just use a 2# cut of shellac. It's fast, easy and inexpensive. Also finish the pieces before you put the case together
    www.josephfusco.org

Traditionally...no. Finishes can gas off and create noxious fumes in an enclosed space...not a great thing. If you must finish the interior, shellac is your best bet.

I reco shellac if you must finish inside. Most others will gas for LONG time!!
    Jerry

Are you using drawer slides or traditional fitted drawers? If you're not using slides, some finishes can "stick" to themselves, causing the drawer to not slide properly against the carcase. Wax may help with this.

As others have mentioned, many finishes offgas for some time after being "dry". Shellac is probably your easiest option if you do want to finish the inside.

Blog Entries
    I'm like Joe and Jerry; shellac for piece of mind and no odor after curing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler