Thread: Using Solar-Lux

Using Solar-Lux

I'm using a Solar-Lux stain on an oak project. The final stain will be two Solar-Lux colors mixed together. I want to use the Solar-Lux Retarder to increase open time. I would like to mix the stain all at once (with the retarder) even though I have several pieces that will be stained at different times.

Question: when I mix the stain can I add the retarder, even though any remaining mixture will be on the shelf for several weeks before it is used on another piece?

Jim,

I just used some myself. I really didn't think the retarder did much to the drying time. It is still pretty fast...too fast for a relatively large surface so I just moved like greased lightning. I ended up dumping the whole bottle in as the color I chose (Hickory, a VERY dark brown) was too dark.

Theoretically, this stuff will last a very very very long time on the shelf. Just mix and test to be sure you have the color you want and that you have enough for the whole project.

Have adequate ventilation...it isn't too bad but get too close for too long and it could be....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Solar-LUX Retarder

Thanks Chris,

I also dropped the manufacturer a message after posting here. The manufacturer responded pretty quickly; said the retarder will not alter the shelf life. So... looks like a go on the retarder.