Thread: Ash Turning Blank needed

Ash Turning Blank needed

I am looking for a piece of dry ash ~6 x 6 x12. Have not been able to find any and am getting desperate. I have been asked to make a cremation urn for a friends grand daughter and they want ash. It needs to be done by the end of August. Any help would be appreciated. I am willing to pay a reasonable price or trade. I have yew, magnolia and black locust that I could trade.

Thanks,

Ken

Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I can get one, but will be wet

Ken, I can get you a piece that size but it will be pretty green and wet, ash likes to crack and check too so you would have to rough turn it right away and seal it back up for a while, or try to dry it faster. Best I can do, I do have a bunch that is real dry but it is 2 and 3 inches thick. If you wanted to glue it up it would be good to go right away.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Blog Entries
    I have some very dry ash timbers that would suit you needs. These have been drying for about 30 years or so. Is that too old for you? I have been trying to give this stuff away. I suppose I could go cut you off a small chunk and send it to you. I literally have tons of it. It is sitting outside under a tarp and I am afraid that it will just rot away.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-26-2009 at 4:49 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have a piece of Ash 4x5x l5 that is dry, and I have Air Dried that I could get ya, the size you need. pm me.

Thanks for your offer Larry but I am a little concerned that your wood may have punky spots or bug holes. I am running out of time and can't afford to take any chances.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken George View Post
    Thanks for your offer Larry but I am a little concerned that your wood may have punky spots or bug holes. I am running out of time and can't afford to take any chances.
    See, I can't give this stuff away
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hijacking Warning...lol

Larry,

I live down in Mena, AR. Do you go to any woodturning clubs? I'm a member of the Central Arkansas Woodturners in Hot Springs. I wouldn't mind relieving you of some of the ash you have. Is any of it large enough for platters or hollowforms?

Ken

Larry, I'd trade you some green avocado if you want :-)

You haven't run through that avocado yet Chris?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Vonk View Post
    Larry,

I live down in Mena, AR. Do you go to any woodturning clubs? I'm a member of the Central Arkansas Woodturners in Hot Springs. I wouldn't mind relieving you of some of the ash you have. Is any of it large enough for platters or hollowforms?

Ken
    I have yet to fall into the woodturning vortex. I have never turned a bowl in my life. the only thing I have turned are table legs and rolling pins. Oh, wait! I turned a baseball bat once.

Yes, I have one timber that is about a 5x12 or maybe even 5x14 not sure, but that one is a monster. Not sure what you mean by hollow form. (refer to 1st paragraph)
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-28-2009 at 7:53 AM.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Wetherhold View Post
    You haven't run through that avocado yet Chris?
    I can only get about 6-8 bowls roughed out at a time. I only really get to turn every two weeks or so....plus I have an addiction to collecting so I sort of got way more than I could use. I have turned some of the pecan and a few pieces of orange that I got. The orange turns great with very clean cuts. Anyone who wants to wood swap, we PM me and I'll fill a box of parafin sealed avo!

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

I received a nice piece of ash on Friday from William Bachtel that will suit my purpose.

Thanks William!

Ken