Thread: Ideas for sacrificial workbench top needed

Ideas for sacrificial workbench top needed

Hi --

Can't believe how hard the simple things are -- at least for me.

Just finished an MDF bench/ash apron fitted for a drop-in piece of 1/4" hardboard purchased from my local lumberyard.

Good news: MDF perfectly flat. Bad news: even with lots of screws to hold down the hardboard, it won't sit flat -- not even close. In fairness, the hardboard was bowed at one end from the yard rack, but I figured I could tame it with screws. A month of rain in NE probably didn't help.

I'm sure I'm missing (yet again) a simple or obvious solution:

1. Flatter/thinner piece of hardboard -- though everything at HD, etc. has waves going through it due to poor storage conditons.

2. Another 1/4 or less material

3. Just screw/nail the hardboard within an inch of it's life until it's flat.

4. Or any other simple idea.

Thanks for the help. Sorry to bother every one with simple questions.

Ken

First, I would try a different lumber yard or supplier. Unless you are *specifically vocal* some suppliers will sell you the top piece instead of digging through the pile for a good FLAT piece of sheet goods. They have *flat stuff* IF you persist!

Second, the solution may negate the term *sacrificial.* The top could be placed in a vacuum bag and sucked into submission. Small spots of glue could be placed beneath the *sacrificial* hardboard to hold it securely in place after curing.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    I doubt your hardboard is service tempered as none of my BORGs carry that. Your lumber yard should have it. A give-away is that it is smooth on both sides and costs more. It comes flat and is generally consistent in thickness.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

try some of the smaller town lumberyards around Kearney or GI for the tempered stuff Glenn mentioned
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Pop for the better hardboard without the waffle face on one side. You won't find it in a home center. Try the better lumberyards or plywood/panel sellers.

I'm fairly certain that the waffle face is what prevents it from staying flat -- especially if your workshop is humid (like mine).

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cohen View Post
    Hi --

Can't believe how hard the simple things are -- at least for me.

Just finished an MDF bench/ash apron fitted for a drop-in piece of 1/4" hardboard purchased from my local lumberyard.

Good news: MDF perfectly flat. Bad news: even with lots of screws to hold down the hardboard, it won't sit flat -- not even close. In fairness, the hardboard was bowed at one end from the yard rack, but I figured I could tame it with screws. A month of rain in NE probably didn't help.

I'm sure I'm missing (yet again) a simple or obvious solution:

1. Flatter/thinner piece of hardboard -- though everything at HD, etc. has waves going through it due to poor storage conditons.

2. Another 1/4 or less material

3. Just screw/nail the hardboard within an inch of it's life until it's flat.

4. Or any other simple idea.

Thanks for the help. Sorry to bother every one with simple questions.

Ken

Temprered hardboard as stated above, but then I just used two sided capet tape and put some heavy stuff on overnight. Not an issue since in years.

As always, great advice from all. Much appreciated.

Here's the interesting part: several calls to local lumber yards yielded less than ideal results. I may be the first person who asked for the grade of tempered hardboard (which is totally understandable). Clearly a commodity item.

Stopped by Lowe's on a lark, and hidden in the paneling aisle was 3/16" service tempered hardboard (Made in USA) identified by a big label on the board in perfect condition. Unlike, HD and the LY, it was stored flat on a store rack rather than remaining on the original shipping 2x's -- which seems to be the source of deformation.

I would encourage anyone looking for quality hardboard to take a look at Lowes.

Again, thx for the help.

Ken

1/4" phenolic?

i'll echo Ken... i bought some of the very same stuff on Friday from Lowes... I have some .01" valleys but i think much of that is my top...

-brad