Thread: advice on flat top blade for splines

advice on flat top blade for splines

I just built a spline jig for making boxes, picture frames etc. The blade that I normally use on my table saw is a Forrest WWII. It has an atb grind which doesn't leave a square groove for the spline. I have been thinking about buying a ripping blade anyway, and amazon has a Freud LM72RO10 on sale for $59. I think that this is a flat grind blade (is it?). I'm just wondering whether a ripping blade will actually make a clean cut in what is basically a crosscut.

Any advice?
    Thx
    David

"amazon has a Freud LM72RO10 on sale for $59. I think that this is a flat grind blade (is it?). I'm just wondering whether a ripping blade will actually make a clean cut in what is basically a crosscut"

Any advice?
    Thx
    David

It is a 24 T flat tooth blade which is a ripping blade. Good blade.. good price....

Clean cut in what is basically a cross-cut?
    All day long. The flat grind does not leave the slight angled ridge in the corner as an ATB as you mentioned and.... the stock is clamped into the V shape of your jig which acts as a backer board to avoid blow-out of the back side where the blade exits....

I use a 24 T CMT flat and a 20 T Amana Euro rip with flat for these task and you will be amazed just how much better it will rip thicker stock as long as you are not looking for a glue line edge. So.. you get a double treat by purchasing the Freud rip blade with flat tooth or any flat tooth ripping blade for that matter.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Yes the LM72R is a flat bottom blade and is made for ripping.
    http://www.freudtools.com/p-35-heavy...ipbr-nbsp.aspx

You may also want to look at the Box blade, it is flat also, it is around $70 and cuts 1/4 and 3/8 slots.
    http://www.freudtools.com/p-316-box-...utter-set.aspx

Why not use a dado blade? Save your cash for something useful

Blog Entries
    I use a Forrest WWII, 40 Tooth #1 Grind, .125" kerf. Actually, I have 3 of them. I have one in use, one for back up and the third is usually either freshly sharpened or getting sharpened.

The latest Wood magazine has a tip where you use a spline with a little PSA sandpaper applied to the edge to sand the V down.

You'd be amazed, however, in how little that little V will be noticed if you just leave it.