Thread: Threaded rod workbench top help

Threaded rod workbench top help

So the base is completed for my bench. Now on to the top. I am making it out of hard maple. 72" x 30 x 3" I have a 13" benchtop planer but have access to a friends 15" powermatic. The plan is to glue up three 10" wide sections to make the top. If I run three rods through it what and when is the best time to drill for the rods. I dont have a drill press.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Schmaus View Post
    So the base is completed for my bench. Now on to the top. I am making it out of hard maple. 72" x 30 x 3" I have a 13" benchtop planer but have access to a friends 15" powermatic. The plan is to glue up three 10" wide sections to make the top. If I run three rods through it what and when is the best time to drill for the rods. I dont have a drill press.

Thanks

If you are planning to put rods into the workbench top to keep the sections together, the glue alone is more than sufficient.

the rods also can get in way of where you put dog holes

good luck

michael
    Last edited by michael osadchuk; 07-06-2009 at 9:19 PM. Reason: correcting spelling

drill them one at a time thru each board for dry fitup, drill the first one very accurately and then use it for the next one, remove it, drill the 3rd one from the second and so on. its gotta fit that way. If you have a friend with a drill press, let the friend drill thru a short piece as an alignment tool for the first ones.

Ace Hdwe has 12 inch long bits, reasonable.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Probably don't need them.

David - I built my bench about 4 years ago with hard maple and walnut. It's 60 x 30 x 3 1/2". No bolts in the top; just a liberal amount of Titebond III and clamp pressure. So far, no sign of separations, splits or any other flaws (save for the odd hammer mark and over-drilled hole. )

I really don't think you need to bother with the bolts unless there's some overwhelming reason you'd like to have them.

Have fun with your project.

Doug

uh, oh, donkey track and large wood borer attack, LOL, did it get wet from tears, too doug?
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

True, he don't need them, but he asked how to, so if he decides he absoulutely needs them, he can .
    Jr.