Thread: Simple book stand

Simple book stand

Hello all. I'm new to woodworking, though I have some experience with home improvement and rough carpentry projects. I also come from a woodworking family, and grew up in a home where my dad's 1,200 sf basement workshop wasn't nearly big enough for him and the sounds of screeching sawblades often disturbed our poor neighbors late into the night.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my first project, a simple book stand. Made it out of some black walnut I snatched from dad. I love how it darkens up without any stain or dye. Also tried my hand at some basic mortise and tenon joinery. I have thick skin so feel free to be harsh, if necessary.

I think next I'll go for something a little more ambitious...perhaps a writing slope like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    As they say, form follows function..... Good job!

Very nice job of constructing, Matthew. Question.. are the supports on the walnut? I appear to see lamination lines as in ply but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

You did great...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

John, the supports are also made of solid walnut. The pictures don't seem to show the beaded edge that I routed on both sides of the supports, the bottom of the book ledge, and the main panel. I suppose that this bead looks almost like plywood from the picture, but I hope that's just a camera lighting and angle issue!

Thanks for the clarification on the walnut. I really wasn't sure as the sides of them looked like walnut. It's the way the light affects it. I am certainly no photographer for sure as you will see in the next few days when I post a computer desk-hutch done in the A & C style. I know little about lighting.. or any other how to to keep the picture from not being affected by light. I use a cheapp digital also which doesn't further my cause.

Again well done as I was going to "get ya" if you went to the trouble of using that nice walnut up front and using ply on the back in this case which will show. But... just another case of old man's eyesight and the reason I ask. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Keep up the great work. A little humid here in Atlanta at the moment but you young guys can take it better than us old fogey's.
    Sarge..

Matthew, good job the bookshelf looks very nice.....how are you going to attach it to the wall
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Matthew, good job the bookshelf looks very nice.....how are you going to attach it to the wall
    I think its a free standing book support. At first I thought was a shelf as well, until I looked closer at pic #2. It's almost like an easel that will hold a book upright so you can read it while eating breakfast (which is what my wife is always after me to make for her).

Do I have the concept right?

I will let Matthew answer on free standing but I bet he will say yes. My wife uses something similar to read in bed. I have seen them before and the lip at the bottom front is a give-away as it is meant to suppport the bottom of the book much as a music stand supports sheet music. Of course.. I'm making all this up but it sounds good on paper.

Ya'll take care...
    Sarge..

Good job Matthew, and you used my favorite wood. The walnut will lighten over time, and age to a very nice amber tone.

I think your idea for the next project is a cool one! Go for it!

Yep--it's intended to be a freestanding book stand. I think my wife will be using it to hold recipe books open while she cooks.

I didn't know that walnut would lighten, John. That explains why a lot of the stuff my dad built out of the same stock is so much lighter than the way mine turned out. Honestly, I think I like it a little darker!

Thanks to all the responders for the encouragement!

Matthew, for my taste, I like walnut at all stages of its transformation. It certainly is beautiful wood when freshly milled - particularly if it is air dried. But the patina and warmth it develops over time is equally nice.

There is little you can do to prevent the change. Dye will help, but you would have to make it much darker now, and even then, the dye will fade - possibly leaving you with a color that is not near as pleasing.