Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments......

Question Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments......

Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I got a little shop time this weekend, but work took most of it. I have a $60 piece of Gaboon Ebony coming from Curlywoods for this custom knife box I will be jumping into this week. I am waiting for an order to come in from Lee Valley that will have some CSBBQ stuff in the order as well as a router bit that I need for the wooden hinges on this knife box.

Besides the making of this box.....I'm working on the refinishing of this 104 year old Singer Sewing machine. I just got the shellac and stuff from Jeff Jewitt this past Friday. Next week is the delivery time I have for this knife box and time is running out and I have EVERTHING on order.!!!!!!! Next time, I may have to drive to Dallas, TX to get what I need.!!

SO what did you do this weekend?

Best of Weeks to you all.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Folks,

Shopped till I dropped last week getting ready for CA house guests this past weekend. Paint, plumbing, wiring, all the fun stuff with some new Tool Snob Specials. . Guests were also impressed with the shop ( part of the house tour). We may have a new member, as I touted the virtues of SMC.
    Have a safe week
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Sounds like you're getting things all lined up Dennis. I'm looking forward to seeing this new knife box when you're finished. I hope the client lets you photograph the knife as well.
    I'm still neck deep in cabinets that I'm building for my parent's new house. I bit off more than I should have as a whole house of cabinets is alot of work but I wanted them to have better than what the contractor had allowed for.
    I have all the kithen together just trimming it out now. The bathrooms are installed and I'm waiting for a couple hinges to finish them up. I can see the light as they say.
    Good luck on the knife box
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

Got some turning time in this weekend as I wait for the heavy equipment to come to do the digging out of the new workshop spaces. Played with the hollowing rig that I made for the first time and was very pleased with how it worked. Managed to rough out 10 and finish 1 vessel. 4 are cherry and 7 are black locust. Most of these will end up being Christmas presents.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

Finished up another of the rental kitchens for "Half Way Steve". 4 down 6 to go. He had some laminate that looked like it belonged on a floor he wanted me to use for the counter top. I laminated it over MDF with an oak edge on it, then beveled the laminate back to expose the oak. The laminate completely destroyed my new Viper (yellow) carbide bevel router bit. Cheap bit or weird laminate?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark J Bachler
    Finished up another of the rental kitchens for "Half Way Steve". 4 down 6 to go. He had some laminate that looked like it belonged on a floor he wanted me to use for the counter top. I laminated it over MDF with an oak edge on it, then beveled the laminate back to expose the oak. The laminate completely destroyed my new Viper (yellow) carbide bevel router bit. Cheap bit or weird laminate?
    Talk is cheap Mark, Let's see some proof. Wana see what that Mini Max shop can kick out???
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler
    Played with the hollowing rig that I made for the first time and was very pleased with how it worked.
    OK....I want to see PICS of this hollowing setup you MADE.!!! I need to do the same....just not now....more than likely this winter.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I had a semi-productive weekend with a decent amount of shop time. I spent a good bit of Saturday turning marking knife handles from Snakewood and getting ahead so I'll have ready stock. I also completed a set of Gabon Ebony knobs for the lift ramps on my plane till. The thing had been sitting without knobs for well over a year and was just begging for the final touch.

I spent some time cleaning up a type 4 #3 Stanley smoothing plane which belonged to my G-G-Grandfather Robert Anderson Jr and has his initials engraved on the side. It dates from about 1878-1884 and while it's well used and the iron is almost used up, it is still able to take shavings. I also took some scrap mahogany and made a small wall shelf to display the plane in a place of honor. I might even go and have a small brass plaque engraved for it.

As a final bit of weekend work I made an effort to begin cleaning up the shop and putting away some of the mountains of stuff scattered everywhere. The challenge is to find new storage spaces for all of the stuff I've acquired over the last year or so so it doesn't just sit in heaps and get in the way. The catalyst for this is the impending visit ( Gloat here ) of Creeker Mark Stutz and his son Tim tomorrow nite. Mark is dropping his youngest off at my old alma mater Tufts University on Wednesday to start college.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dennis

I don't have any pictures here at work but will take some tonight. It is based on the Jamison system and is a lot like the one that Dan Barber shows on his website. It works even better than I thought it would and right now my total investment in it is $0. It's all made of scrap from the machine shop here at work. I will post in the morning the pictures.

Sparky
    Sparky Paessler

Finished putting the siding on the garage and shop addition. (Used Hardiplank. It totally destroyed one carbide tipped skillsaw blade. The job might have been neater using the mitersaw, but I didn't want to destroy that blade, too. Caulk covers many ills!) Sunday afternoon, SWMBO decided that we should celebrate by cleaning out the garage - so that she could put her car back in it. Now that everything is neatly stacked against the walls, wiring is going to be a bit of a pain!

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

My weekend went pretty well

I turned that pile of lumber into this shell for my shed. I HOPE to have the roof framed in by this weekend.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Talk is cheap Mark, Let's see some proof. Wana see what that Mini Max shop can kick out???
    Nothing fancy about these for sure, Red oak veneer flat doors & drawers with 1/4" oak edging (I did match the grain in the doors & drawers). Ugly wide flooring looking laminate counter tops that eats router bits. The owner took an old half-way (rehab) building & made 10 low-income apartments (no plan what so ever). He's on a tight budget but I've been buying left over material from work cheap. 3/4" x 4 x 8 MDF w/ A-4 plain sliced book matched red oak veneer for $32 a sheet & sand spectrum kortron for the shelves, bottoms & partitions for $24. I picked up (2) 5 gal. buckets of Grass Euro hinges for $25 each, must be 150 pairs of hinges. I can give him a deal & still make a few bucks on the side. I will take some pics of the next set of cabs so I don't get a visit from the picture police.

Did some yard work, took the bikes out for a nice ride. It's getting harder as my son weights about 50lbs nowdays, still pulling him in a trailer. Watched some sports and then cleaned up the shop. What a mess.

I also started to strip an old door for a client, man the layers of paint on that sucker. This will carry into Monday.

Removed the old cabinet top and fence system for my DeWalt CMS and began replacing it for the Delta CMS. Mentioned my progress on nother thread.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Talking

Spent most of time in the shop making the sewing room chairs for LOML. They're all done except the back supports. I am waiting for an 1 1/2" pattern bit.

I will start the priming process this afternoon.

Also waiting for my cherry plywood to show up. Hopefully tomorrow. Once it arrives I go into a major sheet goods cutting marathon!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Blog Entries
    Sunday afternoon I cut up some scrap walnut and cherry into about 200 pen blanks to donate to the freedom pen project. I will bring them to the CSBBQ and give them to anyone that might want them. There are about 20 to 30 made from walnut burl which I think will make great looking pens.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.