View Poll Results: So who will produce your next vehicle?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who can afford a new car?

31 30.39%
  • I'd never buy anything domestic in the first place

27 26.47%
  • I'm a GM/Chrysler guy/gal for life

13 12.75%
  • I used to drive GM/Chrysler, but will be looking at Ford products from now on.

14 13.73%
  • I have no opinion

9 8.82%
  • Why, what happened?

8 7.84%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GM vs Chrysler vs Ford vs imports

GM vs Chrysler vs Ford vs imports

Has recent doings with the automakers effected your choice in who will produce your next new vehicle?

Keep the politics out of this thread, please!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wow, you are fast. I didn't even get the poll done yet!

edit: as an addendum to this thread, just answer the poll, or post a bump response if you want to keep it going. I'm curious about the poll results, and the rules of this forum being what they are I don't wish it to spoil my chance at getting information.

2nd edit: Domestic being GM, Chrysler, Ford. Even though Chrysler has been owned by Daimler, and will at some point be owned by Fiat.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 07-08-2009 at 8:48 PM. Reason: addition

Possibly, because of the intense scrutiny that has put out so much detailed info about specific offerings. On a recent business trip I was looking for a rental Malibu because of their good press (I normally drive 4-door Hondas from Marysville, Ohio). I ended up with a Dodge Charger and was surprisingly satisfied by the fit, finish and feel. Is was a 6 cyl. rental, so not fancy, but I would be fine to own one.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Karl, check the wording on the poll question. I think there is a word left out.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Karl, check the wording on the poll question. I think there is a word left out.
    Nevermind, got it. I don't know WHO can change that.

My last two cars have both been Nissan's, because when considering initial cost and gas millage domestics just couldn't compete IMO.
    -Dan

My response dosen't really fit into the poll, so here goes. I drove Fords (trucks and cars) until the mid 90's. The first GM I purchased was a 95' GMC 3/4 ton truck. It has by far been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

Plenty of power with the 350 and it got better gas mileage than any Ford I've driven. GM trucks have been getting even better gas mileage (17-20mpg) since they started putting the 5.3 liter engine in them. Why did it take Ford so long to come out with a truck they can claim gets 20mpg? Regardless of all the hype about bailout money my next new truck purchase will be GM.

We traded my wifes 03' Yukon on a 08' Nissan Altima last year when gas got up to $4.00/gal. It has the V6 and it is a great balance between power and mpg. It gets a little better than 20mpg with combination driving and has done as good as 30mpg on the interstate on long trips.

The new Chevy Camaro's really look hot, but I haven't seen a price yet. They are claiming good mgp but I don't think thats why most people will buy them.

So right now my favorites are Nissan cars and GM trucks. If I were looking for a diesel truck I would look seriously at the Dodge but would probably still go with the GM.

Blog Entries
    It makes me sad that my experience has led me to not even consider an American made automobile. This is no longer even a conscious choice; the idea of buying another Ford/Chevy/Dodge doesn't even enter my mind unless someone asks as in this poll. We should be able to build better cars and sell them for the same price or cheaper than the importers can. It is a sad state of affairs that we do not. I have not been excited about an American car since my '71 Malibu.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No stinkin way I will ever own another import. I bought a 03 camry in FEB last 08. The car was used but with fairly low miles 75k, I put 40K on and the motor began knocking. #4 rod bearing out of the blue. I was told that never happens. Bull, since I have been in my line of work I have seen plenty of import motors and trans that are Kaput as the germans would say. But OH it never happens. That is the biggest crock. I have driven domestics my whole life up until that point. I have seen many GM's and Chrylers turn 4-5 hundred thousand on original motors and a few on the orginal trans. Dont believe everything you read. Never again on the imports. Dont even get me started about the european cars.

For some reason Toyotas are rated the best fuel economy. If you look at their numbers on trucks, vans, full size cars, and mid size cars, they are the same or below GM's cars, and equal to Ford or GM. It is all perception that is all. A full size GM car, like and impala will consistanly get 32-34 mpg on the highway with a nice V6 motor. Toyota wont come close with their avalon, and honda doesn't even have a car that compares.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 07-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Plus 1 for what Glenn said, except that I never had a '71 Malibu.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    No stinkin way I will ever own another import. I bought a 03 camry in FEB last 08. The car was used but with fairly low miles 75k, I put 40K on and the motor began knocking. #4 rod bearing out of the blue. I was told that never happens. Bull, since I have been in my line of work I have seen plenty of import motors and trans that are Kaput as the germans would say. But OH it never happens. That is the biggest crock. I have driven domestics my whole life up until that point. I have seen many GM's and Chrylers turn 4-5 hundred thousand on original motors and a few on the orginal trans. Dont believe everything you read. Never again on the imports. Dont even get me started about the european cars.

For some reason Toyotas are rated the best fuel economy. If you look at their numbers on trucks, vans, full size cars, and mid size cars, they are the same or below GM's cars, and equal to Ford or GM. It is all perception that is all. A full size GM car, like and impala will consistanly get 32-34 mpg on the highway with a nice V6 motor. Toyota wont come close with their avalon, and honda doesn't even have a car that compares.
    Well Paul,

I'll take the other side of that argument.

Until 1982 if it didn't say Chevy on it I wouldn't own it. I had a '56 Cheverolet, a '64 SS Impala covertible and a new '72 Chevelle...

Then I ordered from the factory an '83 Chevy full-sized Blazer. 4 1/2 years later..41,000 miles..when the 5th transmission...count'em 5 th transmission started going out I got rid of it. We had it 4 1/2 years...it spent 4 1/2 months in the garage for either brake failures or transmission failures. While the folks at the local dealership where we bought it were friendly enough, the manner in which they approached fixing the brake problems coupled with the face-to-face meetings I had with the Regional Chevy Rep and his calloused attitude. I wouldn't own a Chevy if you gave it to me.

I replaced it with a USED '86 4-Runner. We only drove it for 16 years here in the mountains of Idaho. It still was running the original transmission when we traded it in on a new Honda Accord. We only drove the 4-Runner 167,000 miles replacing a water pump, a timing chain and a couple alternators. I dragged a pickup and a horse trailer down out of the deep snow while elk hunting. That little 2.2 liter 4 banger and all 4 wheels chained up had spunk in the deep snow.

Our 4-Runner got 25mpg in 2WD on the interstate.

I am currently driving a '90 F-350 4-WD and my wife is driving a 2003 Honda Accord V-6.

GM? When they prove to me that they can build a reliable car I may consider it. It wont' be because of their self agrandizing advertisements though. It'll be because other friends and family have had good experiences with them. I'm waiting.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-08-2009 at 11:43 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I manage a fleet of Toyota Tacoma's (twenty three trucks). The oldest one is a 96 and has 540,000+ miles on it. Doesn't burn oil and still purrs like a kitten. Oh yeah, and the miles it has accumulated are mostly city miles.

I don't even start thinking about replacing a Tacoma until it hits 400,000. I've lost an A/T or two after about 360,000 miles but that's about it.

My first Camry had 250,000 when I got rid of it. Tired of it more than anything. I bought a 97 Camry a few years back that only had 36k on it at the time. I'll probably get tired of it long before it gets tired.

Next car will be a Toyota.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

My last domestic vehicle was a 2006 Ford F150 Super Crew. It was in the shop about 18 times in the first 12 months. It was never fixed the first time. The dealer always had to order a part and schedule a follow-up visit. There were a long list of parts replaced in that 12 months that should not have failed on a new truck driven 8000 miles the first year. I paid the penalty to end the 24 month lease early and went and got an import.

Two years and 16,000 miles later I have had the tires rotated and changed the oil twice on the import. No other trips for service, the mpg is about 22% better, and the insurance cost went down.

Oh and my import was from a US based plant.

If a US manufacturer wants to get me to buy another vehicle it's going to take more than employee pricing and a rebate to get me back in the show room.

I'm limited in my choices to only the three domestic auto makers, due to the fact that they are the only ones who offer a 1 ton, or 3/4 ton with diesel engines.