Thread: Which joinery for this project?

Which joinery for this project?

I've got two of these to build, symmetrical. They will hang from the wall on both sides of a couch and house TV components. The top will be made of cherry and stained pretty dark and the carcass will be painted. I bought some hickory to make everything but the back, which will be plywood. The back will be screwed into the carcass and the two shelves will be removable. Given that it will be painted, how would you attach the bottom/top to the sides and the center divider to the top/bottom?

The rabbets and dados you've depicted will be fine for the carcass top and bottom.
    But if it were me, I'd use dowels, only bkz I have a Dowelmax, which I use for everything that I need to bang out quick and strong. Biscuit or loose tenon joinery would be good too.

I'd attach the top slab in a way so's to allow for movement; Screws with elongated holes, etc.

No matter what, you're going to see the joint. I'd either make a thin face frame for it or use edge banding on everything.

James,

Without a lot of grain filling and priming, hickory's grain might remain fairly prominent under paint (and might become more so with time). Is that the look you want? There might be a fair amount of movement, too. Since the case will be painted, have you considered ply?

For the dado and rabbet joinery you show, I'd glue and screw the joints together, countersinking the screws so you could fill the holes.

Cherry naturally darkens on its own, developing a nice, natural patina. Just a suggestion in case you could be talked out of staining it dark.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use hickory for the painted parts because it is too nice to paint. Hickory is a tight grained wood ans should have any problems showing the gran trhough the paint if it si sanded smooth. However, poplar will give a lighter weight and nicer surface to paint. As far as the joinery, what you have looks good. Those joints should be plenty strong on their own, but could be backed up with some screws if you are concerned. You'll want to plug the screw holes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would use rabbets as you show, then glue and screw.

Todd