Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 277V Light Fixtures

Sylvania

Well, I found some sylvania ballasts at a price that I couldn't pass up. They could power 3 tubes (32W), and they were cheap. Perfect! So once they arrive I will have my main lighting complete at a total cost of only $86!! I will post pics of my shop soon! Thanks!

Hutch

P.S. The stickers on the existing ballasts are labeled only as 277V.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 07-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Yes - that's a pretty common thing in commercial buildings. I work in a Office Complex and when they are demo-ing the interiors they are stacking up the fluorescent fixtures. I was looking idly at the pile and an electrician walked buy and said they are 277V and would need new ballasts.

I didn't jump at them as I didn't need them (still don't) but commercial quality fixtures for the cost of a ballast seems like a good deal to me too.

Enjoy our new light fixtures.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    Yes - that's a pretty common thing in commercial buildings. I work in a Office Complex and when they are demo-ing the interiors they are stacking up the fluorescent fixtures. I was looking idly at the pile and an electrician walked buy and said they are 277V and would need new ballasts.

I didn't jump at them as I didn't need them (still don't) but commercial quality fixtures for the cost of a ballast seems like a good deal to me too.

Enjoy our new light fixtures.

Jim
    As I wrote earlier, in most cases (but not every one) 277 V (347V in Canada) fixtures are scrap because it's not worth messing w/ swapping out ballasts & voltages higher then 120 volts for lighting is prohibited in a residence so getting a transformer to boost the voltage is a no can do.

Worth it ... Yes (probably)

If the sockets are in good condition (not cracked or showing signs of arcing) then it is definitely worth converting these to 120V for use in the shop. Call local electrical distributors for 3 lamp/F32T8 electronic ballasts in 120V or universal voltage (120V - 277V). The latter are what my lighting company and most other lighting manufacturers are using today because they reduce inventory and internally detect incoming voltage, adjusting accordingly.

It might be a little more difficult finding three lamp ballasts. If so, you can use a two lamp ballast and eliminate the center set of sockets.

I saw a roll-off dumpster sitting outside where I work FILLED with flourescent light fixtures (with bulbs and everything!), but after climbing in and looking around, they were 277V-only

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Well, I found some sylvania ballasts at a price that I couldn't pass up. They could power 3 tubes (32W), and they were cheap. Perfect! So once they arrive I will have my main lighting complete at a total cost of only $86!! I will post pics of my shop soon! Thanks!

Hutch

P.S. The stickers on the existing ballasts are labeled only as 277V.
    This is the place I usually get lighting equip from 1000bulbs.com, they had a ballast for $15

Did you buy new or used, where?

A 4-lamp ballast can be used for a 3-lamp fixture unless the ballast is marked otherwise, most will say to cap off unused leads.

Ballasts

They were used ballasts. The seller (on eBay) had over 100 of them available, and he made a custom auction for the exact quantity that I needed. So I got 7 ballasts for $36 including the shipping (shipping was $15!). He also guaranteed proper operation, stating that prompt replacement if defective was his policy. PM me if you want the seller's name.

Hutch

Success!!

Woohoo! They work! Thanks for all the input guys!

Hutch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find and gloat. I'm glad it had a good outcome. How about finding some for my new workshop. Lighting costs are starting to stress me out.

Bob

You've got it all figured out Hutch...The only thing you might want to look for on your replacement ballasts is that they have the "A" sound rating. If you are in a larger shop with high ceilings you won't notice the sound that much, but if you are in a small home shop the harmonic resonance may be annoying during the "thinking" stages of your projects when the machines aren't running.

And if these are 3 lamp, 2 ballast fixtures, you might even want to consider split level lighting, where you can use the lower level output for general lighting and the full brilliance as may be demanded by the task.

I'm with you...the new China junk at the big box stores is a disgrace.

Credentials: Electrician 42 years

Done and done....

Well, they originally were 2 ballast, but I converted them to 1 ballast when I got the replacement 120V ballasts. They work great! But I realized having only 18 bulbs for a 21'x19.5' shop ain't gonna be enough, so I will be supplementing them. I got them all installed today, just finished in fact, and there is no doubt a few $20 fixtures will be going up.

Hutch