Thread: a little different cutting board.

a little different cutting board.

I had some scrap Baltic birch plywood that was not wide enough for much since the grain was going across. so I ripped it in strips and glued it up. I did not have a lot of clamps so I decided to glue the strips and nail them with my 18g gun. it was easy to get them lined up and all seemed fine. but when I was done and went to clamp the edge wood on I found the two I nailed had a arc.I made a dome. not sure how this happened but it did. the last one I clamped up and it was flat. I planed them flat on my cnc router and cut the pockets for the feet. the feet are padouk.
    I had to use some superglue to fill tiny voids in the top. I was disappointed how the glue stained the top and would not sand out. not sure how these will hold up but I will find out.

Steve knight
    cnc routing

Just a couple of ordinary slices of 75 ply baltic birch!

Pretty interesting, Steve. I'll guess they hold up to a knife. Who knows about moisture? Is that exterior glue baltic Birch?

By the way, have you made some nice planes lately?

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

looks it is a type II glue it should be fine. but these are test pieces and we will see.
    with the cross grain they should hold up well. but hey they are cheap to replace.
    not too many planes. though I cam make all but the panel raiser on my cnc router now. I want to change over to kits only I think. I have a hard time getting planes tuned and shipped.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Look good Steve. As far as holding up will be decided latter. As you stated... it's baltic birch so you don't have an arm or leg invested in either money or time. They will probably hold up much better than we think they will hold up. Sometimes we are over skeptical so....

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler