Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Hero's Farewell

Thank you for mentioning Vietnam Vets Ms. Belinda. With so many returning Iraqi Vets we have all but been forgotten even though as you noted... most of the people that show for memorials are vets and family from that era. We didn't get much of a welcome home during that era as the general population had turned anti-war movement and we were termed the "baby killers" which was far from the truth. I remember sitting on a ramp by the Varsity in Atlanta on North Ave. attempting to hitch-hike a ride 35 miles home the day I returned from VN. Two hours passed...no one bothered to stop and offer a ride so I picked up my 65 pound duffel bag and humped down old U.S. Hwy. 29 throught Decatur to Lawrenceville. I swore dependence of help from anyone that day.

I am a member of the Society of the 5th Infantry Div. which was started by WWII Vets. The large majority of those have passed but a few still survive and show up at an annual re-union. And something that should be pointed out is most have totally forgotten Korean War Vets and that is a shame. Vets are vets regardless of where they served.

Thanks again for your tribute post to the fellow Georgian from just down the road from me and mention of roles that were played by Vets in every armed conflict as it is most appreciated ma'am.

"P" Co. 75th Ranger Regiment.. I Corp. Vietnam 68'-69'....
    Last edited by John Thompson; 07-12-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thank you, Thank you.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    "P" Co. 75th Ranger Regiment.. I Corp. Vietnam 68'-69'....
    John,

Here is the link to the Ranger Memorial at Hunter. The original design included six large engraved black granite monoliths and engraved black granite pavers. I met with the project manager on several occasions as my company was to provide the granite, then the design changed and the decision was made to use another material. I still have a scale mock up of one of the monoliths engraved with the Ranger Creed in my office. Come on down and visit.

http://www.1stbn75thrgrregtmemorial.com/index.htm

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

While I am NOT a Vietnam Veteran, I am a Vietnam Era Veteran. I can remember being a bush-tailed Seaman traveling in uniform and changing trains at Chicago's Union Station. I was spit on and called a "Baby Killer". Hell, I had not even been outside of Illinois under military orders at the time. The EM club at Great Lakes was one of the largest I ever saw in my 8 years of Naval service and I listened to too many horror stories of returning Marines and sailors who were at the Navy hospital there for treatment of war wounds.

Dave I'll quote you "Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another." When Desert Shield broke out and our oldest son was with the 1st Infantry in Saudi Arabia, at a meeting for parents called by Idaho U.S. Senators I watched the 5'2" 130 lb. blonde bombshell I married 40 years ago stand up and tell those two Senators "You ARE NOT going to do to our sons what you did to our husbands and brothers. Give them what they need to fight to win or bring their asses home NOW!" I was supposed to speak next. My statement "She said it all!"

Don't buy me a few beers and bring up the subject of Vietnam. It will get ugly!

The way our returning Vietnam veterans were treated was truly a national shame. Luckily for the Anti-war protestors they took the returning veterans ammo away from them in the Phillipines.

Thankfully this young First Sargeant got the respect he deserved. He gave all.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-12-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    John,

Here is the link to the Ranger Memorial at Hunter. The original design included six large engraved black granite monoliths and engraved black granite pavers. I met with the project manager on several occasions as my company was to provide the granite, then the design changed and the decision was made to use another material. I still have a scale mock up of one of the monoliths engraved with the Ranger Creed in my office. Come on down and visit.

http://www.1stbn75thrgrregtmemorial.com/index.htm
    Interesting link you gave and the fact you worked with a company that was to provide the granite. I viewed the site and noted the names of those on the board. Then you noted you met with the project manager on several occasions. It might turn out to be a small world after all and I will explain.

I noted the Project Manager was Sheila Dudley. If.. if I am not mistaken that most likely is the former Shiela Bowen of Lawrenceville, Ga. and my home-town. If the same.. Sheila and I were class-mates and graduated HS together in 1965. With that said... it my not be the same Sheila but... I do know the former Sheila Bowen was married to a Ranger who is now deceased. I also know she was and probably still is the President of Ranger Wives and very dedicated to Rangers. Sheila B. has lived in Savannah for many years now and I do not know her married name which she carries as she was very devoted to her husband from scuttle at class re-unions which I don't believe she has attended unfortunately.

So.. just an educated guess mind you but... too many co-incidences not to be a great bet to lay that your Sheila D. was our Shelia B. years ago. If you can confirm that I would be highly appreciative out of pure curiousity and I have a feeling you know well how curious we southern folks can be.

Your red and white polka dot dress and the hat is a dead give-away you are most likely not a trans-plant to the south but instead another charming southern lady on her way to a charity function which a good time will be had by all.

I would love to come down to Savannah as I haven't been there in a number of years. Came close several times on the way to Hilton Head but the last time I was there was not too long after they re-modeled the River-front and that has been awhile. I do suppose I am due and if things are the way they used to be.. everyone is welcome in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Regards ma'am...
    Last edited by John Thompson; 07-13-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    While I am NOT a Vietnam Veteran, I am a Vietnam Era Veteran. I can remember being a bush-tailed Seaman traveling in uniform and changing trains at Chicago's Union Station. I was spit on and called a "Baby Killer". Hell, I had not even been outside of Illinois under military orders at the time. The EM club at Great Lakes was one of the largest I ever saw in my 8 years of Naval service and I listened to too many horror stories of returning Marines and sailors who were at the Navy hospital there for treatment of war wounds.

Dave I'll quote you "Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another." When Desert Shield broke out and our oldest son was with the 1st Infantry in Saudi Arabia, at a meeting for parents called by Idaho U.S. Senators I watched the 5'2" 130 lb. blonde bombshell I married 40 years ago stand up and tell those two Senators "You ARE NOT going to do to our sons what you did to our husbands and brothers. Give them what they need to fight to win or bring their asses home NOW!" I was supposed to speak next. My statement "She said it all!"

Don't buy me a few beers and bring up the subject of Vietnam. It will get ugly!

The way our returning Vietnam veterans were treated was truly a national shame. Luckily for the Anti-war protestors they took the returning veterans ammo away from them in the Phillipines.

Thankfully this young First Sargeant got the respect he deserved. He gave all.
    Thanks for piping up with your stand, Ken. You sound like a stand-up type guy and stand-up guys are getting scarce these days in our world of being politically correct.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    I noted the Project Manager was Sheila Dudley. If.. if I am not mistaken that most likely is the former Shiela Bowen of Lawrenceville, Ga. and my home-town. If the same.. Sheila and I were class-mates and graduated HS together in 1965. With that said... it my not be the same Sheila but... I do know the former Sheila Bowen was married to a Ranger who is now deceased. I also know she was and probably still is the President of Ranger Wives and very dedicated to Rangers. Sheila B. has lived in Savannah for many years now and I do not know her married name which she carries as she was very devoted to her husband from scuttle at class re-unions which I don't believe she has attended unfortunately.

So.. just an educated guess mind you but... too many co-incidences not to be a great bet to lay that your Sheila D. was our Shelia B. years ago. If you can confirm that I would be highly appreciative out of pure curiousity and I have a feeling you know well how curious we southern folks can be.

Your red and white polka dot dress and the hat is a dead give-away you are most likely not a trans-plant to the south but instead another charming southern lady on her way to a charity function which a good time will be had by all.

I would love to come down to Savannah as I haven't been there in a number of years. Came close several times on the way to Hilton Head but the last time I was there was not too long after they re-modeled the River-front and that has been awhile. I do suppose I am due and if things are the way they used to be.. everyone is welcome in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Regards ma'am...
    Sheila was married to a Ranger who is now deceased. I'll bet she is your Sheila B. Small world indeed! The black granite and engraved pavers were value engineered out of the project. I did get to attend a couple of planning meetings. I was heart broken when I found out we wouldn't get to be involved in the project. I'll PM you later today with Sheila's e-mail address.

Polka dot dress and hat - Kentucky Derby Party. Can't really take credit for that being a charity function!

IIRC River Street was revamped in the late 70s. You're way past due for a visit. And yes, everyone is welcome in the Garden of Good and Evil.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 07-13-2009 at 10:02 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Ken, I can not take credit for that quote though it is one dear to my heart. It was a comment made years ago by Tom Holman who at the time was President of the CA council of the Vietnam Vererans of America. It pretty much sums up the feelings of many of us who had our service disrespected and if we were lucky just ignored.

As a note of how things have changed, according to figures from the last census, ther are now 10 times as many folks claiming to be Vietnam veterans than ever served. What vets call "posers" are very much a problem from all of the recent conflicts. Fortunately one of the few things that George Bush the younger did right was put through Congress "The Stolen Valor Act". This makes it a federal offense to claim to either be a veteran or to claim to have won awards that were not earned. Investigation is done by the FBI upon complaints and a goodly number of folks have been "counseled" or become long term guests of the government if fraud was involved.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 07-13-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Sheila was married to a Ranger who is now deceased. I'll bet she is your Sheila B. Small world indeed! The black granite and engraved pavers were value engineered out of the project. I did get to attend a couple of planning meetings. I was heart broken when I found out we wouldn't get to be involved in the project. I'll PM you later today with Sheila's e-mail address.

Polka dot dress and hat - Kentucky Derby Party. Can't really take credit for that being a charity function!

IIRC River Street was revamped in the late 70s. You're way past due for a visit. And yes, everyone is welcome in the Garden of Good and Evil.
    Again... thanks very much for the connection to a classmate, Belinda. I would like the e-mail address as I would like to drop her a note in praise of her dedicated efforts and praise of her deceased beloved. And thanks again for the link to the Memorial at Hunter. I suppose I came closer than I would have wished on more than several occasions having my name engraved on that Memorial and feel very fortunate.

I suppose I should step up and say I was wrong about the charity function. I associate the hat with an annual spring Steeple-chase done for Charity here in Atlanta where you will see thousands of those spring Derby hats out in force. I suppose the actual Derby is about as good as excuse for a social gathering as any as social gathering's doesn't require a lot of purposeful reasons... just an opportunity.

I was somewhat shocked to read what Dave just posted about "posers" as Vets. I was not aware of that but I suppose it takes all kinds and it would be rude to ask someone for a copy of their DD 214 separation from service nor a set of orders. So.. with that said I will validate as I would hate for you to think your appreciated generousity was wasted on a "poser". I suppose you could get these on E-bay as you can get about everything else there... "walk the walk and talk the talk" but... I would be happy to post a set of orders which makes them official if anyone might question them.

Have a great day on the coast Ma'am and will set Savannah in my sights....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarge..

John,

I can say with some confidence that Dave nor I was challenging the validity of your service or statements in this thread.

Thanks for your service.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    John,

I can say with some confidence that Dave nor I was challenging the validity of your service or statements in this thread.

Thanks for your service.
    Nor would I question that you were Ken... as I have great respect for both you and Dave. But... with that said.. I really am somewhat shocked at the numbers that Dave posted as to the "posers" which I have frankly was not aware of or have not given a lot of thought to. If that is the case that is a very saddening way to attempt to live up to responsibility as a man to both country.. family an loved one's.

I cannot personally understand the motives and I feel sorry for a person that resorts to doing something of that nature in an attempt to boost his image of man-hood by pretending to be something he or she is not. But.. I am aware that it could happen as I have seen knock-off medals on sale on E-bay. That p*sses me off more than when the Army decided all troops would wear Black Berets and the Rangers would abandon them and wear Brown. I won't get into that issue which would open a can of worms with ex-Rangers from back when.

So.. perhaps the public does need to be aware of the "poser" problem as anyone could boost of being a Vet and without a visual of a DD 214 you could not confirm that really. Another Vet could smell out the rat very quickly but the general public could not. I have had a few tell me that they were in Airborne during their military service. But.. a simple mention of a gore... apex.. shroud line.. PLF.. etc., etc. with the person that stated that clueless is a dead give-away you are speaking to a someone who is up to the top of their waders in manure. I knew what those things were when I was 16 years old as I started sky-diving with parental permission.

So... please stand at ease over thinking I was being singled out and targeted. Again.. frankly I am glad Dave posted that as the public should be aware that the situation exist and should be somewhat alert to the fact as from the numbers posted there is no doubt the problem not only exist but on somewhat of a broad scale.

With utmost regard and respect to the fine job the moderators are doing here... well done...
    Sarge..

John, rest assured that I in no way meant to imply that you were a poser. I just wanted to point out how things have changed in 40 years. Once we were an object of scorn, ridicule, and pretty much had to hide our service. Now the guilt trips, needs for ego boosts, and God knows what other reasons compel non-veterans to claim that they served. If it wasn't so irritating and dishonest it would be comical.

I too can usually spot a poser with a few chosen questions. All I have to hear is that, "I was in the Marines." and I know the guy wasn't. No Marine I have ever met would use that phrase. I have without remorse or the slightest guilt publicly humiliated a couple of posers and warned them that if I ever heard of them making those claims again they would be getting a visit from the FBI. Only those who served can truly understand our mindset.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    It can be said, without a shadow of doubt, that the fella for which this thread was started, was the real deal....

I've never ran across a "poser".... but, if I did...... Well, let's just say it's better I don't put anything else in writing.
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 07-13-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    John, rest assured that I in no way meant to imply that you were a poser. I just wanted to point out how things have changed in 40 years. Once we were an object of scorn, ridicule, and pretty much had to hide our service. Now the guilt trips, needs for ego boosts, and God knows what other reasons compel non-veterans to claim that they served. If it wasn't so irritating and dishonest it would be comical.

I too can usually spot a poser with a few chosen questions. All I have to hear is that, "I was in the Marines." and I know the guy wasn't. No Marine I have ever met would use that phrase. I have without remorse or the slightest guilt publicly humiliated a couple of posers and warned them that if I ever heard of them making those claims again they would be getting a visit from the FBI. Only those who served can truly understand our mindset.
    No offense taken Dave as again.. I am glad you made the comments as you have made a great point by doing so and basically a public service IMO. Someone that cannot read a tell and trusting in good faith would probably take word of mouth as the gospel which it might be.. and then again it might not in actually.

Now.. I was not a Marine but if someone told me they were in Marines I would question the fact they did not say something to the effect of Alpha.. Bravo.. Charlie.. Foxtrot (pick one) 1/9.. 3rd Marines.. etc. I again am not a Marine but.. I was under tactical command of 3rd Marines out of Quang Tri Firebase just outside Quang Tri City. And did have to co-ordinate with their Recon Platoons and Scout Snipers to avoid my 6 man hunter-killer team and they did not bump heads when working in the same grid square area.

So.. how would a Marine answer the question of if ask what branch he served? How did the Army guy do with the question considering our lingo might vary. Scorpion or night ambush? M -40 grenade launcher or "thump gun"... the list goes on.

Were you in VN and if so when.. 1st or 3rd which is Quang Tri and all points north and west along the DMZ as Dong Ha.. the Rockpile.. A1.. 2.. 3.. Con Thien.. Khe Sahn and the Asuha Valley or 1st Marines down south of their closer to DaNang and Happy Valley to be more specific?

Anyhoo.. gotta run to Suwanee Hardwoods for a "fix". ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Highest regards to the Marines as I have never met one I would not be proud to serve in combat with. Dependable to say the least and I could go on and on if I were to expand the accolades..
    Sarge..

Thank you for sharing that ..semper fi