Thread: Grizzly G0531B

Grizzly G0531B

Hello,

Does anyone here have the Grizzly G0531B 21" bandsaw? I'm thinking about buying one, but I'm wondering how it compares to the G0636X 17" ultimate saw (or the mm16/lt16).

Seems like it's a pretty good value, 21" throat, 14" resaw, 5hp, electric brake, ~680lbs. What's kind of weird to me is that the 17" ultimate is more expensive, despite being smaller.. Granted, it has a 16" resaw height, but I wonder if there are any other differences in quality?

Anyway, would be interested in hearing any thoughts about either saw from people who own them or have used them.

Thanks!

That saw looks like a real winner to me. I am coveting one as well and would deffinately pick the G0531 over the 17" even with its 16" resaw. 14" is plenty and a 5hp bandsaw is going to really pack a punch compared to a 3hp especially when resawing dense woods over 6" wide.

I see the wider table and extra hp as more benefit than 2" more height.

I think a 3hp bandsaw would bog down pretty fast trying to resaw that much anyway.
    Fullerbuilt

oh I see this was a thread almost a year old. I was searching on the G0531B and this is what came up.

I have an older 24" SCMI that could use a new motor, guides, and other TLC. I picked it up cheap last year but just dont have extra time to get it running perfectly.
    Fullerbuilt

wasn't expecting to see this thread again. Both the 0531B and 636X have 5 hp motors, so I don't think power will be an issue for either of them.

In anycase, I ended up getting a minimax mm16. Found a great deal on a used one locally, and haven't looked back since! The original tires had a few cracks in it making for uneven cuts, so I replaced the tires (which are kind of expensive) and the lower thrust bearing, and it now runs great.

The one I got was a slightly older model, made in 2004 or 2006. It has 14.5" resaw and a 3.8hp motor. It's got plenty capacity for the uses I've had with it so far. Just sunday I milled a 14" wide alder cant into 2" thick planks. Using a 1.3 tpi lenox woodmaster ct blade, it cut like butter, no bog down whatsoever. I do wish it had a bigger table though!