Thread: Shaving Brush Attempt #2

Shaving Brush Attempt #2

Shaving Brush…Attempt #2

My last attempt at a brush handle resulted in a grand catch and some rapidly made kindling....

So this time around I used Bocote wood and the 23mm UK-tied Super Badger hair knot from Tony at Golden Nib. This knot is very tall (72mm) and needs a deep-set for stiffness. I drilled the wood to result in a 46mm loft.

Also this time around I built myself a platform so I was up at closer to a proper height with the lathe.

I did not take any photos at the start…but got my camera out as I moved to the sanding stages.

Oiled it up with flaxseed oil and burnished/polished it in with a paper towel.

Finished the cutoff, then sanded the bottom, and tried out the knot.

I soaked the outside of this in flaxseed oil overnight, then epoxied the knot in the next day with slow-set System Three epoxy. I have not used it yet (allowing the flaxseed oil to cure for a week or so, but it should work out quite well. I like the handle feel and the springyness of the short loft badger.

Nice brush there Randy, That UK Super is a sweet knot.

I betcha my stack of kindling is bigger than yours!

Well that I don't doubt.

I am not quite sure what sort of brush I need next...but I will get at least 2x the wood necessary....3x would be safer.

Randy, You kind of look like a storm trooper in all your dust protection gear! Nice wood choice for the brush, I hardly ever shave so it might be good for my balding head!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great looking brush. Really nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.