Thread: Pine door scratches

Pine door scratches

We have a solid pine six panel door in our bathroom. Today one of our Boxer (dogs) locked herself in the bathroom while I was out in the shop and she scratched the inside of the door up pretty badly, but the scratches don't appear to go through the finish. The door is natural color and finished with a clear finish, probably a catalized lacquer. Any suggestions on refinishing? I was thinking of taking the door down, lightly sanding the scratched areas and then shooting it with Deft, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks
    Dave

Hello,
    If you know a cigar smoker, have them save you some ashes.
    Cigar ashes mixed w/water into a paste produce an excellent polishing compound.

Cigarette ashes won't work. Due to the ways cigar and cigarette tobaccos are cured, cigarettes are too acid.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Give your plan a try. If the scratches are not too severe, it might work.
    Howie.........

The scratches are way too deep for polishing, but thanks for the tip. I may eventually have to strip the finish off the entire door and raise the grain with a moist rag and hot iron, but I'm going to try some lacquer over them first and see if the existing stuff will blend in enough with the fresh lacquer to make them less noticable.

Blog Entries
    Since the scratches didn't go through the finish, check the borgs or local hardware stores for finish restorers. When I was looking for something for my bambobo floor I read a lot of labels. I can't recall brands but I am pretty sure there is something out there that can help you.

Our dog has done that to three doors in our house at various times. I'm figuring I'll have to replace them.