Thread: Making your own 12" disc sander

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Making your own 12" disc sander

Has anyone tried making their own 12" disc sander? I mean, I was cruising through Ebay for a drum sander and fell across a guy's invention that basically lets you take your own motor (mounted on "something") and slipping on a roughly 4 X 7 foam roller that has drum sand paper on it...oh, here, look at it yourself if you didn't understand that:

I happen to have an extra motor already, and the plans for building a stand and mount developed quite easily. I already ordered it, so unless you've used it and found it dangerous, no need to tell me to save my money on it. For $46, I thought it would be worth a try.

The real question: On the same principle, since I have yet another motor handy, I thought...what about mounting a motor to a stand and using, say, Grizzly parts from a 12 disc sander to create my own. Grizzly is kind enough to show the blow up of its parts list

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g7297/parts

and will let you buy them separately. For about $50, I could get what I need (I think) to complete the project.

The only real challenge I see is how this attaches to the arbor...there is a screw that feeds in through the plate, but into what, the arbor? Or does the 12" plate have a set screw to lock it to the arbor?

Has anyone tried this?

PS Yeah, I know the G7297 is only $180 with shipping, but I wouldn't be ME if I didn't try to MAKE one myself...
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-11-2009 at 6:59 AM. Reason: Removed link to ebay
    I drink, therefore I am.